yetanotherforumm is not working; runtime error

Discussion in 'ASP.NET / ASP.NET Core' started by jpweber, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. I have a site made in Visual Studio / VB / .NET4. I downloaded yetanotherforum either from the web gallery or the Microsoft Web Platform Installer, and everything worked seemingly fine, locally. Upon uploading to production, however, I'm not sure if it's because I have netsted web.configs (the forum is located in the /knowledgbase/ directory, and there's a web.config there), or if I didn't do something with IIS. And I've googled it. It's been suggested that either nested web.configs or not having globalmachine.config permissions may be the issue. It's located here:

http://www.ussvision.com/knowledgebase/default.aspx

And you'll see the error message, which is:
    Server Error in '/ussvision' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on the local server machine, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "RemoteOnly". To enable the details to be viewable on remote machines, please set "mode" to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="On" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Any guidance you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

2. Disable custom error as instructed to see the real exception thrown..

To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on the local server machine, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "RemoteOnly". To enable the details to be viewable on remote machines, please set "mode" to "Off".

3. Thanks Jay. I had to purchase a database from discountasp (my sql 2008 R2) to get it to work. Then I had to put that connection string into the db.config section of the knowledgebase directory. So far, things are going okay, but I'm still trying to figure out how to do things.

For instance, I'm trying to figure out how to add questions to the registration process, and make registration mandatory. I'd like to know what company they're from, and what their company phone number is.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again for your time!

Jason Weber
    USS Vision Inc.

4. You meant make registration mandatory prior to visiting your site? If so, you can simply setup <authorization> and <authentication> node on web.config that check site visitor; If they are not registered, simply redirect them to registration page. If user is registered, allow access.

You can get user informations in the form that you setup (company, phone#, etc) If you fancy something more detail like visitor's IP addressed and which page they visited you can use Google's analytic service with neat GUI or create your own like the one here
    http://www.mycsharpcorner.com/Post.aspx?postID=27

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.