Update on SQL 2008

Discussion in 'SQL 2008 Beta [Closed]' started by mjp, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. mjp

mjp

You may have read that SQL 2008 has been released, but that is not exactly the case. The release that Microsoft announced is still a development release, it is not the final RTM (release to manufacturers) release as their announcement stated.

We have been in contact with members of the SQL 2008 team, and they cannot assure us that there will be no changes between the current release and the actual final release, so we are waiting for the download of the final release before offering SQL 2008 on the production servers.

Our policy has always been to avoid using beta or pre-release versions of any products on production servers, so this decision is in keeping with our usual new service roll-out schedule.

We are ready - servers, Control Panel, etc., are configured for SQL 2008 use. As soon as we have the final version in hand we will open up the SQL 2008 offering. Again, we do not know exactly when that will be, but as soon as we know, you will know.

NOTE: this forum - SQL 2008 (public beta) - will be closed when we launch SQL 2008. We do not want to run into issues with people searching for SQL 2008 help and coming across articles that may apply only to early beta versions.

2. mjp

mjp

Update: Microsoft assures us that the released MSDN version of SQL 2008 is identical to the final release version, so we are planning for an 8/11 launch. That date is tentative (I have to say that or I could be killed by certain factions within the company), but as I mentioned previously, we are ready to launch, so I assume that we will move forward on Monday and begin offering SQL 2008.

3. Nice, much better.
    The second post was more comfortable. [​IMG]

4. mjp

mjp

We did not make the Monday launch, but anticipate launching today.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.