Web Design Tools

Discussion in 'Site Design, SEO, Google and Site Promotion' started by pbattelino, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Hi,

My website is still on the old 2003 server / IIS 6. Need migrate it up. Old site was generated using Microsoft FrontPage which is no longer in use. I have been looking at MS SharePoint designed, but that needs something called SharePoint foundation to run on the host server.

Q.: Do DiscountASP shared servers run SharePoint foundation? If so, how do I turn it on? If not - what alternative(s) would you recommend to use on the new(er) platform? Any recommendations on web development tools? I am looking for something simple, not too much programming.

Thanks in advance.

PB

2. mjp

mjp

No, we don't support that, and you don't really want to use it to build or maintain a website.

If you're just making simple html pages, you might want to check out Google Web Designer. I'm sure others will have other recommendations.

3. Hi mjp,

Thank you for your response. I looked at GWD, it is nice, nut too new. I need something a bit more established where I can use third party style templates, and technology that DiscountASP supports. I've looked at Microsoft Silverlight, but that technology seems to be on the way out. Not looking for anything complicated - do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks again.

4. mjp

mjp

Yes, Microsoft has more or less abandoned Silverlight, so it's probably not a good alternative for long term use.

They were very gung ho about Expression for a while, which was going to be their "simple" web development tool, and I see they still offer a download of it, but they are no longer actively developing it.

The problem is simple and Microsoft rarely go hand in hand, and in recent years they've shown a real fondness for introducing something new, then a couple years later, pretending it never existed. They want everyone to move to Visual Studio for development, and that is not a simple, intuitive tool for an average not-a-hardcore-developer human.

As far as "technology that DiscountASP supports," any basic web site development tool will create files that will run on our servers without any problem. We're Microsoft-centric, but the servers also run php and we offer MySQL, etc. So unless you're getting into some really specialized stuff like Ruby or something that relies on Apache modules (we run IIS, not Apache), you should be okay.