Migrating voluntarily - a couple of questions...

Discussion in 'Windows / IIS' started by thexman, Mar 3, 2014.

1. I am looking into migrating a friend's site over to '08/IIS 7 - however, my knowledge of asp is virtually nil.

Firstly, working through the upgrade option on the control panel, it seems that both of the existing databases must be deleted? (one is for stock inventory and the other for a small forum) These are .mdb databases, the stock one being maintained locally with Access and uploaded via ftp each time it is updated. Does this mean that the current databases will no longer be suitable on the new servers?

Secondly, assuming we can keep the current databases somehow, where can I go to get a little help tweaking the (10 year old) .asp so that everything will function as it does now?

My apologies if I am not asking these questions in the right place...

2. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

No, the MS Databases and the MySQL databases will not be deleted or moved. The only thing that will be moved is the web site files onto the new server. (The current files you see when you connect via FTP.)

We still support Access databases on our higher server. I'm wondering if you're asking about the "ODBC DSN connections" you might still be using. Because we don't support these connections on our higher servers. It’s recommended that you move it to a OLEDB connection.

We state a lot more information in our blog post article regarding moving away from our IIS 6 servers.
    We provide information on why we're asking our customers to migrate and what cool stuff you will see on our higher servers. It also contains information on what you should look out for before migrating.

If you're not sure if your site will work on our higher server. You can always contact support and ask them to provide you with a test account on our IIS 7 or IIS 8 server. So it can give you time to test everything before migrating.

mjp likes this.
  3. Thank you for that - I think a test account will certainly be the best way for me to sort this out.

As a matter of interest, I can only find references to an ADODB connection on the site I am concerned with - should this be changed to OLEDB?

4. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

You should be fine with a ADODB connection on our higher servers. First test it out and see ;)