How do I find out from the control panel which hosting setup I have?

Discussion in 'Hosting Services / Control Panel' started by Owen Ransen, Apr 15, 2014.

1. How do I find out from the control panel which hosting setup I have? I can't seem to find the info in the control panel.

I don't remember being asked what I wanted when I signed up (though I may be wrong).

2. I should have been clearer, I need Windows 2008 and ASP.NET 4.0, where can I find out if I've got that?

3. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

Owen Ransen and mjp like this.
  4. Aha I see the Windows 2012 bit, thanks. But if I load a .NET 4.0 program there will it work without any problems? I thought that maybe I should use Windows 2008...

I'm new to this ASP lark, so please be gentle!

5. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

I can't guarantee it will work without "any" problems. You might have to make some modifications like update a database connection string or something similar.

Owen Ransen and mjp like this.
  6. Before signing up I asked about this, and was told that for .NET 4 I'd best use Windows 2008. Is that not so?

I've tried my application now, with your Windows 2012 server, and so far, with the few simple tests, it works. When I start using databases should I move to 2008?

7. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

Windows 2008 supports ASP.NET 4.0. Windows 2012 supports ASP.NET 4.5.1. ASP.NET 4.5.1 was an in-place update so if we installed it on our Windows 2008 servers, the .NET 4.0 apps could have broke. In general, Microsoft says that the update is backward compatible. So in your case, everything worked so that is great. But in the past we've seen situations of "backward compatible" updates breaking some older framework apps so we didn't want put our customer's sites at risk.

mjp and Owen Ransen like this.
  8. Thanks for the info.

I'm an old time Windows MFC C++ programmer, but ASP.NET is new to me. How would I know if a bug is caused by ASP.NET 4.0 running on ASP.NET 4.5? Or maybe I wouldn't?

So you suggest I downgrade to Windows 2008 or stay with 2012? I have no intention of doing any tricky or advanced programming, I just want to use standard features of the framework and language (C#).

9. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

If your app is working for you, then stay on the latest Microsoft stack - stay on Windows 2012. If you run into any issues and your not sure what is going on, you can contact us and we'll have a look. If you need to downgrade to Windows 2008, then we'll help you do that.

mjp and Owen Ransen like this.
  10. Thanks, yes, I'll follow your advice.