SmarterMail upgrades

Discussion in 'Email' started by mjp, Jul 2, 2014.

1. mjp

mjp

We are upgrading all of the SmarterMail servers over the next six weeks or so (you'll get an email from us before we upgrade your specific server). The old server hardware is aging, which - as you may have noticed - causes an overall decrease in performance and associated increase in latency and outages.

In the servers we have upgraded so far we have seen substantial improvement in disk I/O and interface speed, so it's clear that the hardware upgrade is beneficial. But in addition to upgrading the server hardware, we are also taking the opportunity to upgrade the SmarterMail software to the latest version.

You may have also noticed that in the past we haven't updated the software very often. There were a few reasons for that (email is email, right?), but after this current round of upgrades we will be staying more up to date with quarterly reviews.

And of course email isn't just email anymore, so here is a list of the new SmarterMail features that will be available to you after your server is upgraded:

Better spam control
    More RBL lists have been added to filter incoming spam.

New mobile interface
    An interface created exclusively for smartphones makes managing email, calendars, contacts, tasks and notes on Android, iPhones and Windows phones easier than ever.

Google Drive integration
    File storage is improved by adding the ability to connect your SmarterMail account to your Google Drive account. Link to files either using SmarterMail's built in file storage or to files you've stored in your Google Drive account.

Email editor improvements
    Now supports inserting images and files via drag & drop and cut & paste.
    Pop up notification on webmail when new email arrives.
    Supports multiple contacts.

Improved text editor
    With a cleaner interface the text editor is now included when adding notes and creating tasks. Language support has also improved.

Improved spell checking
    SmarterMail has revised how spell checking works, greatly increasing the accuracy and adding grammar support.

Personalize Your Contacts
    SmarterMail now allows you to add pictures to your contacts.

I suspect a few of you are wondering right about now, "What about secure (ssl) email?!" We didn't forget you, and we're working on it. The default SmarterMail ssl setup doesn't work with our wildcard ssl certificate, so we're working with them on a fix.

The upgrade requires that the server be taken offline for one to two hours, and we know that no one likes that (we don't like it either). But you shouldn't experience any mail loss, since most sending servers will hold any messages while the server is offline and redeliver when it is back up.

2. Glad to see DiscountAsp.net is upgrading smarter mail.
    Will be able to sync contacts with our phones now with CardDav and CalDav? I know smarter mail has supported this for years but was never implemented by DiscountAsp.net :(

3. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

I believe both features are enabled. I tested it in the past and got intermittent results. I couldn't figure out if it was a problem with my phone or something else.

4. I'm not sure what you did to the spam settings. But after my account was updated, my spam went up 10x. From my perspective spam control is worse, not better.

5. Since the upgrade the email popup will not open to full size. I can drag the bottom window frame but it just returns to the same position just under the address text boxes.

6. FrankC

FrankC DiscountASP.NET Staff

I think this is a bug w/ the version we have installed. There's a new fix that we'll be applying later today.

7. Hey Frank, I know this is the wrong thread for it, but thanks for your reply on my question about triggering a script based on email arriving in a mailbox.

My question in this thread (on topic again...) is whether we do indeed have a bit of a spam problem since migrating to the newer SmarterMail?
    From my perspective I have to agree with TheNothingness concerning the amount of spam we have been receiving.
    His comment that it is 10x more is not an exaggeration.

Is this higher amount of spam indeed connected to the new mail upgrade?
    Anything we could do as far as mail settings are concerned to prevent this?

Some of my colleagues have been threatening to route their discountasp emails through google to prevent the spam getting through.

8. FrankC

that's is quite strange as we use the same mail filter before & after upgrade.

i'll talk to our mail guys and see what they say

9. FrankC

Please create a support ticket. Our mail admin want to take a look at your account to make sure everything is setup correctly

10. Thanks Frank, i'll do so

11. I am receiving 500+ spam emails a day. My website email is effectively useless. My website members are unable to communicate with me.

What I don't understand is, why do emails marked "SPAM" get into my inbox. If the email system recognizes the message as "SPAM" and appends the word "SPAM" why isn't the message deleted or moved to the Junk folder??

I have used both the default and override settings -- to no avail.

Now I don't mind going through that long list of acronyms and abbreviations to set 'Current Weights," but I would appreciate it if you would link to a list of meanings so I know what they mean and how the affect the Spam filtering algorithm.

Some information on probabilities and weights would also be useful.

I'm at the point of setting Low to "1"; Medium to "2"; and High to "3."

12. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

You can change the rule within SmarterMail to move those email messages marked as SPAM to be deleted or moved into the Junk folder.

Go into the Smartermail interface with your email user.

Click on "Settings" icon (looks like a gear)

Expand the "Filtering" option under "My Settings" option.

Click on "Spam Filtering"

Select "Override spam settings for this account".

Click on "Actions" tab.

Then set the action for each spam setting. "Low", "Medium" and "High" by clicking on the drop down menu and selecting what you want to do.

You can delete the email message so you won't even receive it. Also you can add a text in the subject line or send the email message to the junk folder.

We also have a knowledge base article that talks about the Spam settings here: https://support.discountasp.net/KB/...ult-spam-blockingfiltering-configuration.aspx

If you do that you might never get any real email messages. Sometimes a real email message might have a spam weight of 8 or a little lower than 8. Meaning even some legit email messages will never be received.

I have seen in the past some people that get spam messages that are for sure spam but they have a low spam weight of 4. Most of the time our customers are left scratching their head.... "Why in the world did this email message that is complete spam get inside my inbox with a low spam weight?"

The only way I could answer that question is by wondering the same thing myself. Since I've had experience with email users getting compromised and spam messages being sent out from our own email server when the email user was compromised. I can kinda answer that question.

For example lets say a IT guy sets up a SPF record for their domain name. Basically this SPF record when set up correctly tells the whole world of email servers "Hey, only accept email messages from the following email servers with these IP numbers". If the receiving email server even cares about SPF records (out email servers do) it can detect if the email messages are most likely spoofed (spam) or legit.

Now lets go back to the whole talk about how in the world are these spam messages getting such a low spam rating. The only answer I could come up with is that the email user that sent you that spam email message was compromised and it pass the SPF record setting on our email server. Thus giving it a low spam weight and arriving in your inbox.

mjp likes this.
  13. Hi

We're on v 15.7 and the latest version is 16.x. Is there a planned upgrade any time soon?

I ask as there is one feature I would find helpful - send from alias

Many Thanks

sorry, realise that i should have started another thread!

14. mjp

mjp

We always wait a few minor versions after a major version upgrade (like from 15 to 16), because those first few minor upgrades come quickly, and it takes us a long time to do all the servers, so we let the major versions "settle" for a bit before upgrading.

15. Almost a year now, is an upgrade on the road map? Pretty tired of the dated interface.

16. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

Sorry, no ETA yet at this time. We've run into a bunch of bugs with SM 16/17. We are keeping tabs on fixes.

17. does everleap provide a similar product for webmail/mobile sync? something more modern?

18. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

Everleap uses the same smartermail system. However, Everleap also offers Office 365 plans - If you are seeking to modernize, you may want to check out the Office 365 plans.