IPv6 Support

Discussion in 'Hosting Services / Control Panel' started by bgoodbody, Jul 12, 2014.

1. bgoodbody

bgoodbody Bill G

Comcast has now rolled out IPv6 Support nationwide.

When can we expect DiscountASP.net to support IPv6?

2. mjp

mjp

Comcast is in the minority, as you may be aware. It seems as if it's going to take an extreme situation to force a lot of ISPs to support IPv6, even though we all know it's inevitable. And much sooner than later.

On our end we're ready as far as hardware is concerned, but we're going to have to develop a method that works within our system to support both v4 and v6 on the same server and also create a mechanism that allows users to make the switch themselves. Both of which may sound easy, but of course nothing is ever as easy as it sounds.

Until there is universal ISP support, we can't just drop IPv6 on new accounts. It would be a support nightmare ("Why can't our Topeka office see the web site?!"). I suspect it's going to be a nightmare even when it's voluntary. For a while, anyway.

So that's a long-winded way of saying, "I don't know, exactly." But again, I suspect sooner than later.

martino and RayH like this.
  3. bgoodbody

bgoodbody Bill G

Thanks Michael,

We are more than willing to be part of any test when it is available.

Most likely customers will want to support both to enable an overlap period between all ipv4 and all ipv6.

Comcast is not small and, I believe that they have enabled most (is not all) of their customers for IPv6 which is done with what I think is called native Dual Stack. I know it is deployed here and if needed, I have a contact in Colorado who has worked on the deployment.

When I go to a ipv6 site they see my ipv6 address, and when I go to an ipv4 side, they see my ipv4 address.

So it looks like there will be a transition not a conversion.

This page is Comcast's ipv6 deployment page: Good info and links to some interesting test pages.
    http://www.comcast6.net/

mjp likes this.
  4. bgoodbody

bgoodbody Bill G

5. bgoodbody

bgoodbody Bill G

6. mjp

mjp

No plan, no schedule.

We aren't putting it off, it just isn't necessary yet. It is still supplemental. As you pointed out, it's going to be a long transition. Right now any ISP that supports it also supports IPv4 (and probably will have to support it forever, despite the stated purpose of IPv6 to replace it).

IPv6 certainly benefits us in the long run, but implementation is complicated and affects every corner of our network, as well as affecting customer support. So it is a large project.