Membership using Visual Studio 2013

Discussion in 'ASP.NET / ASP.NET Core' started by Senor Engineer, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Good Afternoon !!!

I'm using membership for authentication for application users in Visual Studio 2013.

Additional to default fields, User Name and Password, I would like to add Email Address also to the registration screen. I added on Register.aspx, and also AspNetUsers table under DefaultConneciton Of Data Connections (local database - aded Email as a saparate field). However when I add a new user (testing), the email field is not updated. Are there any other places should I add Email code? I could not get much help on google, some are suggesting the have a custom membership, and I really do not want to complicate the code, I want to use what is avaialble in Visual Studio, only the addition being Email Address in Registration screen

2. Unfortunately the default ASP.Net membership/roles provider does not use email as the login credentials. It will use it as a way to retrieve the password, but not as part of the actual login credentials. For this you will have to create your own membership roles provider. Which also means you'll have to redesign the schema of your database to take into account the email address.

3. Thank you for the response, I will add this feature in my future releases after doing some research on how.