email setup for android

Discussion in 'Email' started by philos, Aug 24, 2014.

1. hello,
    where can i find the email setup configuration for my android device (ATRIX 4G, android 2.3.6). the current POP setup i use now works over wifi, but the same configuration does not sync email over the mobile connection with wifi turned off. i would like to verify i am using the correct settings, ports, security protocol, etc.
    thanks!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  2. FrankC

FrankC DiscountASP.NET Staff

Email setup should be the same whether you connect through WIFI or mobile connection. You might have a connection problem w/ Mobile.

3. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

Or your Mobile internet connection is blocking the SMTP port of 25. If that is the case you can try changing the port to 587 for SMTP.

Also, what error message do you get with the mobile internet connection?

4. the error on the phone is:
    -------------------
    Error
    Could not connect to the server.
    OK
    -------------------

i use the manual setup for email accounts in Android using the "Email" app and Outgoing smtp port was already setup for 587.

configuring a gmail account using the "Google" email app works successfully. so, i am able to sync gmail on the phone over the mobile and wifi connection. the problem seems to be with the manual configuration settings of the smartermail email account that, for some reason works with wifi but does not work with the mobile connection.

i am looking for the Android KB article similar to the ones already available for other devices listed on the support page: https://support.discountasp.net/KB/c317/email-program-configuration.aspx

5. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

6. the setting on that KB article do not match too well to my version of android. i am guessing that the Galaxy S3 uses a newer version than what i am using. however, i did try using the ports listed, but received the same error.

it is strange that gmail syncs over a mobile connection and a wifi connection, but the smartermail configuration does not sync over a mobile connection.

is there a smartermail app for android available?