Stored Procedure Permissions

Discussion in 'Databases' started by IPAlarms, Apr 25, 2015.

1. IPAlarms

IPAlarms Developer of VoIP2Go Voice over IP Platform

I develop software apps for my Customers that rely on a SQL Server database. I always use stored procedures and I provide them with a Permissions script that grants EXECUTE permissions to the relevant user. They have to run this script (along with a Login and User script) after each Restore.

I do not have to do this with the stored proc's on my DASP database and I seem to have permission to execute based on just my connection string. I'm not a DBA, so can anyone give me a simple explanation of how DASP achieve this?

2. JorgeR

JorgeR DiscountASP.NET Staff

Can you please elaborate ? What part you do not have to do with store procedure.... Restore part ? If so, are you using API to restore or are you referring to something else

3. IPAlarms

IPAlarms Developer of VoIP2Go Voice over IP Platform

I have never granted execute permissions on any of my stored procedures in my DASP database, yet I have execute permissions on all of them. How is that possible without granting execute permissions via a script?

4. JorgeR

JorgeR DiscountASP.NET Staff

Your login has db_owner rights. Basically as you are aware, you can do anything to your database at the database level. The store procedure probably is most likely running with dbo schema. Meaning, you will have the permission to execute it.

RayH likes this.