ASP.NET 5 RC GO LIVE!

Discussion in 'ASP.NET / ASP.NET Core' started by Charles L, Nov 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdev/archive/2015/11/18/announcing-asp-net-5-release-candidate-1.aspx

I understand there are some technical issues with regards to providing ASP.NET 5 RC Go Live environments, but I could not find anything stated anywhere.

Perhaps we can use this thread to help keep others in the loop with regards to any and all known technical issues preventing the adoption of RC1 hosting? As well as providing feedback as to when it will officially be supported by DiscountASP.NET.

2. mjp

mjp

There are a lot of technical issues. It's a completely new way of doing things.

That being said, we're already working on it, but as of now it looks like we'll run it on separate servers, so it probably won't be an option on existing accounts (unless you want to migrate to a .NET 5 server).

And of course since it is a new way of doing things, you gain some abilities, but you also lose some things that we're all used to working with, so it will be an interesting to see what the adoption rate is.

3. Sign me up. Well, actually we just signed up... how do we switch? What do we lose?

4. mjp

mjp

I appreciate your enthusiasm Charles, but you can't switch yet, we're still working on implementation. There are a lot of things that need to be ironed out in order for us to offer it. RC does not equal production-ready.

As for what you lose, I don't want to say anything specific until we see how it plays out. Things have already changed between different beta versions. But it's a different environment, so there will be changes to the way things have always worked where IIS and .NET working together are concerned. When you make everything modular it increases flexibility, yes, but it decreases what the server can do natively. It's also a different directory structure on the server, FTP works differently, etc., etc.

I'm not a system administrator, all I know is what I learn from talking to those guys about it, so I'm sure there are a lot of deeper level things I haven't even heard about yet. Suffice it to say that Microsoft has been busy re-inventing everything.

As soon as it's stable, safe to run in production and we can offer it, we will.

RayH likes this.
  5. Is there an ETA on this V5 hosting (yet?)

6. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

We will definitely not be putting RC1 in production and we will wait until the official version is released. Microsoft is aiming for a Q1 2016 launch. There are many technical details still yet to be ironed out because of big changes in the way this new version works.

7. mjp

mjp