SMTP email best practices?

Discussion in 'ASP.NET / ASP.NET Core' started by Swellbuzz, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Hello,
    I'm working on a site that sends text messages and/or emails to customers when certain weather conditions meet their criteria. I'm not expecting to reach the quota of 1000 per hour or 5000 per day by any means--perhaps on the order of hundreds per hour max for part of the day--but I'm wondering if there are certain coding procedures I should follow to make sure the emails are delivered in a timely manner and not hung up in DiscountASP's spam filter. Also if a queue process would help for large numbers of emails? At the moment the emails are generated from a SQL table that updates every 30 minutes. Thank you.

2. mjp

mjp

If by "hung up" you mean blocked, our filters are unlikely to block it if it isn't spam. So the best thing you can do is avoid wording your message contents in a way that could be interpreted as "spammy." Which shouldn't be a problem with weather notice emails.

If by "hung up" you mean delayed, that's unavoidable, but for the most part you're looking at delays of a second or two (unless the queues are particularly busy). You wouldn't affect the queue much with a few hundred messages every 30 minutes. You'd have to dump thousands of messages in at once to slow it down. But that does happen - queue slowdowns - more so at certain times of day (typically mornings here on the west coast).

Your main concern would be with the recipient servers. It's nearly impossible to keep bulk email out of spam filters. Which is by design, of course. Hundreds of messages with the same general content generally pick up a "bulk" or "infomail" label along the way, and that can slow down delivery depending on what's happening on the receiving end.

3. Yes, I was more worried about getting blocked. Delays of a couple minutes or so at peak time won't be too bad. Thanks for your reply.