Simple question about web hosting--do I need to do anything now?

Discussion in 'Hosting Services / Control Panel' started by PJ2010, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. I just signed up today for discountasp.net to host my website, which is registered with Network Solutions under a unique name and as of yesterday hosted by Earthlink.

Discountasp.net says *see below.

My question is: if I don't care to leave Earthlink.net right now, can I do nothing, and will my website page still load in the future? Or, is the change made below by discountasp.net 'permanent' and do I have to do something right now? I am really busy and I rather make any changes, if at all, a few weeks or months from now rather than right away.

Thank you,

PJ

* Domain Name Check
    Your Domain Name is registered.
    Your Domain Name Servers are not correctly pointing to DiscountASP.NET.

To use our hosting platform with your existing domain, you will need to update your Domain's Name Servers to point to our DNS. To make this update you would work with your Domain Registrar. We have instructions on how to update the Domain's Name Servers for some popular Domain Registrars in our Knowledge Base.

2. mjp

mjp

You don't have to do anything. You can keep the site at Earthlink and use the Alternative URL to do work on the site here. Once you are ready to have the site served from our servers, you would change the name servers for your domain.

Name server changes are not permanent...you can switch them any time you'd like. But every time you change them there is a day or so of propagation while the changes make their way through the internet.

3. Cool

This is the best web hosting company in the world! Thanks! At Earthlink I would have had an answer in 2 days from some poor clueless person reading a script...

4. mjp

mjp

You're not on Earthlink anymore Toto!

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.