Smooth Streaming cross-domain

Discussion in 'Silverlight' started by Polybius, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Hi all,

I was very pleased to see IIS Smooth Streaming supported well here at DASP, and I've been successful at playing a Smooth Streaming video when the video was stored directly in a folder of my Silverlight application.

Here's a thread for reference:
    http://community.discountasp.net/showthread.php?t=10667

But even a Smooth Streaming video of, for example, 9 minutes, is going to take roughly 1/2 Gig of storage. Thus it would be wise to store them in a separate area. (My Silverlight/web application, where all my code and laborious development efforts are stored, I expect to be only 20 or 30 MB in size.)

So, today I purchased another account here at DASP to act solely as a place to store my video files and serve them up as Smooth Streaming. In other words, I now have two accounts -- one for my Silverlight/web app that my customers will go to to watch a training video (let's call it AcmePublic.com) and another account where I store several Gigs of videos (let's call it AcmeSmooth.com).

From what I've read, IIS SmoothStreaming has security safeguards that prevent a Silverlight application on another domain from accessing it. And to enable such a scenario as I have, one can simply add a ClientAccessPolicy.xml file to the root of the video hosting site (my AcmeSmooth.com).

ClientAccessPolicy.xml
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <access-policy>
        <cross-domain-access>
            <policy>
                <allow-from http-request-headers="*">
                    <domain uri="*"/>
                </allow-from>
                <grant-to>
                    <resource path="/" include-subpaths="true"/>
                </grant-to>
            </policy>
        </cross-domain-access>
    </access-policy>
    My question is this: I've tried adding this ClientAccessPolicy.xml file to the root directory of my new "AcmeSmooth.com" account at DASP, but I can't get it to work. Has anybody else succeeded at cross-domain Smooth Streaming here at DiscountASP.NET?

Thanks in advance.

2. Hi,
    It will work if you want to create a folder for each of your videos on the extra account.
    I'm doing this now with several DASP accounts.
    What you need to do is create a wrapper like the sample below, it will load the other domain into the page you use this in:

<iframe src="http://64.209.142.3/SQLdbToolsv3/default.html" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="width:640px; height:480px"></iframe>

That's the same way Microsoft is doing it. ;-)
    Hope that helps.
    Mark

3. wisemx -- That hadn't occurred to me. I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks very much.

4. The ClientAccessPolicy.xml file (described in above post) is now working well at my DiscountASP.NET account for SmoothStreaming.

Very happy about that. DASP appears to be a great place for hosting SmoothStreaming.

5. mjp

mjp

Nice, nice, glad you got it working.