Mysterious email headers appearing on MailMessage create email

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by fordareh, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Hi all - thanks in advance.

I'm generating emails that contain XML contentusing the following bit of code:

MailMessage email = new MailMessage(SENDER_EMAIL, RECIPIENT_EMAIL, SUBJECT, sMessageBody);

email.Headers.Remove("Content-Transfer-Encoding");

email.Headers.Add("Content-Transfer-Encoding", "7bit");

this._client = new SmtpClient(SMTP_SERVER, 25);

this._client.Credentials = new NetworkCredential(CRED_ID, CRED_LOGIN);

this._client.Timeout = TIMEOUT;

this._client.Send(email);
    I added the Header remove and add code to try and prevent the problem I'm seeing where the emailheaders are alwyas automatically set to the following:

content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
    content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

I am trying to get them to read:

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

...because the example XML email I have has those headers. However, the code that I provided above set the email headers to:

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit
    mime-version: 1.0
    to: ....
    date: ...
    subject: ...
    content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

There are 2 sets of content-transfer-encoding headers.

Now, the only reasons I am trying so hard to configure the headers is 1) the example I am following looks that way and 2) the original email I am sending out does not seem to be interpreting new lines correctly (note the =0A where there would otherwise be a new line):

<?ADF VERSION "1.0"?>=0A=0A<adf>=0A<prospect>=0A<requestdate>2006-12-13T13:43:32-06:00</requestdate>=0A ...

I am appending '\n' characters as I build the XML using a C# StringBuilder. I have tried many variations of my own headers, so I am beginnig to believe that this is somethign that DASP's smtp server adds to the emails automatically...how do I fix this problem?

2. you won't able to remove or add that header via the 'Headers' collection because it is pulled from within the object itself. You will have to modify this through the 'TransferEncoding' property.

The TransferEncoding property is available for Attachment and AlternateView within the MailMessage object.

Try this to see if you get the desired result...

SmtpClient _client = new SmtpClient();
    MailMessage email = new MailMessage(SENDER_EMAIL, RECIPIENT_EMAIL);
    email.Subject = SUBJECT;
    AlternateView plainView = AlternateView.CreateAlternateViewFromString(sMessageBody, Nothing, "text/plain");
    plainView.TransferEncoding = System.Net.Mime.TransferEncoding.SevenBit;
    email.AlternateViews.Add(plainView);

this._client = new SmtpClient(SMTP_SERVER, 25);
    this._client.Credentials = new NetworkCredential(CRED_ID, CRED_LOGIN);
    this._client.Timeout = TIMEOUT;
    this._client.Send(email);

btw, I haven't tested this myself... so I don't actually know if it works.

Joel Thoms
    DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

3. The suggestions above worked out quite well. The only remaining issue is this:

content-transfer-encoding: sevenbit

Does it matter that this isn't 7bit?

4. http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=2045

the RFC (2045 section 6.1)is clearly showing the only acceptible values for the Content-Transfer-Encodingfield are"7bit" / "8bit" / "binary" / "quoted-printable" / "base64".

If the CDO object is outputting "sevenbit" instead of "7bit", then this is a bug and should be submitted to microsoft. You might be stuck using a 3rd party control.

I also noticed you could set 'Unknown' with System.Net.Mime.TransferEncoding.Unknown. Maybe this will unset the header, allowing you to add the header manually?

again... i haven't run or tested any of this code...

Joel Thoms
    DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET