Uploading a .NET assembly to SQL Server

Discussion in 'Databases' started by Holf, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. One of the nice things about SQL Server 2005 is the integration with .NET. If there is something that T-SQL will not do, you can do it in C# or VB.NET instead and then compile your code into an assembly.

You can then upload this assembly to SQL Server 2005 using the 'CREATE ASSEMBLY' command. However, to do this, you need to supply a fully qualified path to where your assembly (i.e. a .dll file) is located.

So... is this allowed with DiscountASP.net SQL Server 2005 hosting? And, if so, where can I put my .dll assembly file so that my SQL Server 2005 DB instance can find it?

Another way to import the .dll file is to provide the actual byte sequence of the .dll file directly into a CREATE ASSEMBLY command, but I've never tried this...

Any help much appreciated.

Holf

2. Unfortunately this is not allowed with discountasp SQL servers. This will require specific righst to the user that will compromise the entire database server.

3. Thanks for the response Raymond.

Yes, that is quite understandable and I suspected this would be the case. I guess I'll just have to use good old T-SQL...

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.