MX settings for Google hosted mail

Discussion in 'Hosting Services / Control Panel' started by exocortex, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. I would like to use "Google Apps for Organizations" with my DiscountASP.Net domain name. I think only issue with using "Google Apps for Organizations" with DiscountASP.NET is that I have to change the MX records associated with my domain as described here in Google's documentation:
    Google Apps for Administrators > Configuring MX records

It says that I should delete all existing MX entries and then enter the following as new MX records:
    • ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. (priority 1)
    • ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. (priority 5)
    • ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. (priority 5)
    • ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. (priority 10)
    • ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. (priority 10)
    Is this supported by DiscountASP.NET? If so:
    • Can I do this through the Control Panel? (If so I couldn't find a way to do so.)
    • Otherwise, should I then be filing a "support ticket" with regards to this?

Much thanks,
    Ben Houston
    [email protected]

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Sure.. you can use the DNS manager to add these records.

Note that the lowest distance we allow is 10 (priority) but these are relative and it should be no problem.

3. mjp

mjp

In regards to what Bruce said about the values being relative, try these specific entries:

ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 10
    ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 15
    ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 15
    ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 20
    ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 20
    ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 20
    ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 20

I have tested Gmail successfully here with those settings.

More info is in this thread.

4. I should add that I got up and running with this stuff in no time after I received the first reply. I'm using the full Google Apps for Organizations setup and it works great.

Thank you for your input.
    -ben

5. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Very Cool.. Thanks Stref!

6. Welcome!

7. The Email Management page in the control panel also now allows you to disable email. If you do not wantemail routing through DiscountASP's email system at all, you should also disable it.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.