Successful deployment of simple web app

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 4.0 RC Beta [Closed]' started by Polybius, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Hello all,

Today I was able to successfully deploy my first little HelloWorld web app (ASP.NET 4.0) using Visual Studio 2010 Beta2, to my sandbox here at DASP.
    I'll list the steps here in case others encountered some of the problems I did.

1. Using VS 2010 Beta2 I made a simple web application, accepting all the defaults. The web app simply says "Hello World" when a user clicks a button.

2. I hit F5 to run it in debug mode (the default).

3. In the Solution Explorer window, I selected the project WbApHelloWorld. Then, using the main menu I chose Build/Publish WbApHelloWorld. This opened the Publish Web dialog.

4. I accepted Build Configuration: Debug

5. I accepted Publish Method: MSDeploy Publish

6. I entered to Service URL: https://netfx4lab.discountasp.net

7. I entered for Site/Application: userXXX.netfx4lab.discountasp.net

8. I accepted UNchecked box for "Mark as IIS application on destination"

9. I accepted checked box for "Do not delete extra files on destination" (See note below)

10. I checked box "Allow Untrusted Certificate" (First I tried as unchecked, but that resulted in failure.)

11. I entered my User Name and Password for my sandbox account.

12. I clicked Publish button, and received message "Publish succeeded."

OUTCOME:

I then tested the newly deployed site by surfing to:
    http://userXXX.netfx4lab.discountasp.net/default.aspx

The reason I had to include Default.aspx on the above url is because I had checked "Do not delete extra files on destination", which resulted in leaving the original INDEX.HTML file (when DASP set up the sandbox for me) there, so that when I surfed simply to "http://userXXX.netfx4lab.discountasp.net", I saw the original sandbox home page, making me think at first that the deployment had failed.

So, I'm happy that the deployment worked well.
    Many thanks to the folks at DASP for providing us all with the nice free sandbox account.

2. Were you able to publish a second time?

Publish only worked one for me. Errors ever since.

3. Idumond -

I saw your post, so I tried using FTP to delete all the files. Then I used VS2010 to publish again, with a successful result again.

4. Have you tried it without deleting the files first?

That would be the point of doing iterative publishes.

Plus, are you publishing a database along with this? That might make a difference too.

5. Idumond--
    Yes, I'm able to publish right over the same existing files. But no, I'm not publishing a database with this. Only a very simple "Hello World" web app.

6. After having no luck for a couple of hours, I stumbled across your How-To message. I appreciate you taking the time to write it up. Unfortunatly, I was only able to get to step 3 befor I was dead again.

I am using VS 2010 Express beta 2 editions and I can not find any main menu heading of "Build". I only have "Debug" that has a sub-item called "Build", but it only builds and has nothing to do with publishing.

Can you or someone else PLEASE tell me what I am missing?????

Thanks,

Tom

7. Tom --
    I think you're probably right about the Publish feature not being in the Express edition. I'm using VS 2010 Professional Beta 2, which is available for free download of course.

I just double-checked, and yes, in my version, the Build menu item is in the main menu next (to the left of) the Debug menu item.

8. Thanks for this posting -- very helpful to this newbie!

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.