I can't see my database in object explorer

Discussion in 'Databases' started by rrrunner, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. I am using SSMS 2008 exp and can connect fine to my DB, but can't actually see it in the object explorer pane. The really odd thing is that on few occassions I was able to see it but as soon as I disconnect and reconnect it's no longer there. I've done the typical google searches but can't seem to find anything.

If anyone has any ideas on what may be causing this I would really appreciate the help!

2. dmitri

dmitri DiscountASP.NET Staff

When you say you do not see your database in the Object Explorer, do you see other folders in there such as "System Databases?" Also, how do you know you are connected to the server?

3. Thanks for the reply. I can see two folders "System Databases" and "Database Snapshots". There are no objects in the snapshot folder and in the system folder i see master and tempdb. I know I'm connected because I can execute queries from a query window.

4. dmitri

According to your Object Explorer, your user database either does not exist or was dropped. Are you running queries against your database objects? Can you rung the following query and see if it returns the name of your user database:
    Code:
    SELECT TOP 1 CATALOG_NAME FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.SCHEMATA

Also tell me if your user database is shown in "Available Databases" drop down box on your "SQL Editor" tool bar. If this tool bar is not shown, go to "View" / "Toolbars" and check "SQL Editor" in the drop down menu. Expand "Available Databases" drop down box which is right over your Object Explorer and see if your database is listed there.

5. Running the query does return the name of my DB and I can see it in the available databases dd.

6. dmitri

Ok, select your user database from this drop-down list, run the above query again, and see if it prints your database name now.

7. My db is selected by default in the ddl and when I run the query it still returns my db name but still doesn't show up in the object browser. Not sure if this helps any, but the db name only shows in the ddl when the query window has focus. If I click on the object explorer the ddl is disabled.

Also, I thought this may be a client issue but it was doing the same thing on another computer with a fresh SSMSE install.

Thanks for your help with this. It's really appreciated.

8. dmitri

We can take a look at your account and database and see what is going on. Please open a support ticket HERE. Include the reference to this post and a screen shot of your Management Studio with "Databases" folder expanded in "Object Explorer."

9. issue

Hi, i have a no-experience problem, softly sad. I created a database with the help of my SQL Manager .... but i can not see it in my server explorer from VS.. witch from i can see databases created from my last project that i can't see in SQL ManagerStudio now .. how can i change the source for my server explorer in VS?

i'm don't fully understand the principle of creating the server name .. what's the difference between Name-PC(like sqlserver name) and
    Name-PC/SQLExpress ? what's the purpose for that ?

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.