Advice needed on how to run MS Comunity Starter Kit on SQL Server 2005

Discussion in 'ASP.NET Starter Kits' started by sheffieldtr, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Folks,

Could you advise what changes would be necessary (if any?) to my SQL Server 2000 (SS2K)powered Microsoft COMMUNITY STARTER KIT (.net v1.x! of years ago), to upgrade it to use a SQL Server 2005 (SS2K5)database.

I am reasonably conversant with SQL Server, and am aware that restoring an SS2K database to a SS2K5 instance, restores it with an appropriate compatibility mode already set. However, I am not that familiar with ASP.NET and hence the config files for CSK.

Appreciate any advice/guidance.

Regards, Neil

PS. Of course longer term I am going to migrate my CSK-powered website to DNN (as the former is no longer being developed / supported).

Post Edited (SheffieldtriclubDotCom) : 10/9/2008 11:22:00 AM GMT

2. Neil,

As far as I know the only thing you will need to insure that is updated is the connection string. If you have migrated all the objects and data over from your SQL 2000 to SQL 2005, then the application cannot tell the difference either two. If you start getting errors, post the errors here and we can troubleshoot it with you from then on.

rcp
    DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. RCP,

Thanks for the prompt response.

So all you think I would need to do is:

<configuration>
    <configSections>
    </configSections>
    <communityStarterKit>
    <database>
    <add key="connectionString" value="server=mssql03.discountasp.net;uid=****_csk_user;pwd=****;database=****_csk" />
    <!-- <add key="connectionString" value="server=localhost;uid=sa;pwd=secret;database=communityStarterKitNEW" /> -->
    </database>
    </communityStarterKit>
    </configuration>

Change the add@key="connectionString" attribute valueto the upgraded SERVER &amp; DATABASE one.

Can you explain this add@key attribute 'value'? I'm inferring that the current connnectionString is using the DEFAULT instance hosted on mssql03.discountasp.net - I was kinda expecting to see a non-default SQL Server instance being used.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers, Neil

PS. RCP are you a discountasp.net representative? If you are not please ignore but if youare, my dilemma here would be that I have no 'test' database to find and trouble shoot issues... might discountasp.net be able to offer a free grace/temporary period whilst I successfully upgrade my CSK from SS2K to SS2K5 addon? The driver for this is that the SS2K addon has been withdrawn and I need to install Dot Net Nuke requiring a new DB (I'm not comfortable co-residing CSK &amp; DNN in the same existing SS2K database). I am a charity (sports club)with no additional budget to simply purchase a SS2K5 addon. See Ticket 1228457.

4. Neil,

The updates on the connection string will be the server name, database name, database login, and database password. You are essentially gonna be creating a connection string that will connect to a different database.

The 'add key' is a value for the <appSetting> element which defines and store connection string and file paths. You may want to read this link which helps explains the different elements in the web.config file. http://www.odetocode.com/Articles/345.aspx

Yes I am a representative of Discountasp and I try to log on to the community forum as much as I can to help out our members or just share as much of my experience as I can to our community. I'm afraid that we do not offer SQL test accounts. You can still order the SQL 2005 addon and you should have a set number of days where you can cancel it and get a full refund. Unfortunately I'm really not sure exactly what the number of days are for a full refund for addons. You may want to open a ticket to our billing department and ask them directly. I don't want to give you a wrong information on our refund policy and have you loose money.

rcp
    DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. Rcp,

Thanks the prompt response.

To yours and your colleague's best knowledge, have you other customers successfully using CSK against SQL Server 2005?

Great idea re: purchase addon and then cancel as required. I get exact details from billing. Thanks again - super suggestion.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers, Neil

6. Neil,

Yes do have some customers that use SQL 2005 for their CSK application. And to the best of my knowledge it works just as well.

rcp
    DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET