Alternate installation for the Classified Ads Starter Kit

Discussion in 'ASP.NET Starter Kits' started by pdfpublisher, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Hi,
    I tried for several months to get MS SQL Server 2005 and/or 2008 Express Edition to install on my computer without success. I was wondering if it's possible to upload the Classified Ads folders, database and related files to my discountasp.net account and manage the sites pages and etc remotely from my desktop.

Thanks
    Eugene

2. Thanks Mark,

You just saved me $200.00 which I was prepared to pay someone who quoted that price to setup my Classified Ads site on discountasp.net. I will purchase the new MS SQL Server 2008 provided by discountasp.net to control and manage my site remotely. I'll be back on this forum when I'm ready to get help with the database.

Sincerely appreciate your prompt reply and advice.

Eugene

3. The guy charging $200 was not me. I would installed free off the bat.

I know that kit inside and out. If you need help extending let me know via pm.
    Dave

4. Thanks,
    Will contact by PM with much graditude and appreciation.
    Eugene

5. First problem: on line 167 in the 'Admin/Ads.aspx' file. maxPrice is defined as Type int32. Need to change it to Decimal

Second issue in regard to the dropdown list. There is a file in the /Controls directory. You should take a look at the CategoryDropDown.ascx and CategoryDropDown.vb /.cs code.
    The datasource is CategoryDataSource which pretty much looks up all the categories. By getting the correct identifier which will be a numeric value (1,2,3,4,5,6 etc) and match the category name you can pass that to /Search.aspx?c=the identifier. IE. /Search.aspx?c=3

With that said, if the categoryid of say Electronics is 3 then /Search.aspx?c=3 will show the gridview list of Electronics.

The CategoryDropDown.ascx file is a .NET user control which means you can use it on other pages in the application. You can just drag and drop it on other pages. You will need to add code relevant to CategoryDropDown.ascx to the page it was added to however. The code can be found in the CategoryDropDown.vb /.cs file.

If I get the time I will send you an example file.
    Take care, Dave

6. I've got my Classified ads site up and running. I'm getting an error when I try to test the query feature in the administration section.

The error : Object of type 'System.Int32' cannot be converted to type 'System.Decimal

Does this mean that I have to have at least one active ad before the query will work?

Also, someone needed help converting the categories display into drop down lists and an answer was provided. Does anyone know where I can find that answer?

I can seem to remotely manage my classified adsSQL server database with MS Access 2007. I can log in and see the tables but I can add new tables. I've tried MS SQL Management Studio 2005 when my DB was 2005 and it worked great. I can't seem to find an app that will allow me to remote manage SQL 2008 Express (add tables). Could someone point me to an app (commerical or free) that will do that?

Many thanks,

Eugene