Any traction on SSL/TLS yet?

Discussion in 'Email' started by SteveGee, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Hi,

I've seen there are some quite old posts (dating back to 2005!) asking whether this functionality will be implemented for POP3 or IMAP connections, so I was just wondering if there had been enough support for it?

I understand your position had been that it's ineffective if email delivery is not encrypted the whole way, but like some of the other threads I would also like to request this functionality so that I'm not broadcasting my credentials in plain text over public wifi or other unsecured networks when I check my email. It seems common place these days with most (including small) email hosting companies utilising it, and since a lot's changed from 2005 in the way that we're accessing email, I wondered if your decision had changed?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. mjp

mjp

Not really, no. But we can certainly revisit the request.

I think there are some issues around the way our mail network is configured that make implementing SSL problematic, but we'll take a look again.

3. Thanks, it would be much appreciated if you could!

4. Having open password information when connecting via wifi has hit the BBC news today with an article on how unsecure it is. My other email provider in the UK uses encrypted authentication and I have just tried it with DASP but no joy. Would be useful in this day and age when passwords are fully visible in wireshark. Just looked mine up!

5. mjp

mjp