anyone using Amazon S3?

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by rlcraven, Sep 7, 2014.

1. I'd like to use Amazon S3 for storing some videos and allowing customers to stream them. It's cheap storage and hopefully this strategy would take some work off of the web server.

For authentication, the Amazon SDK setup creates an encrypted credential store on the machine. However, this information won't get published to the DASP server because it's outside of the project folder.

The alternative appears to be storing the credentials in a text file in the project folder, or the web.config file. I am guessing this also means transmitting them as plain text when authenticating.

Does anyone have experience with this and know the best way to manage the credentials?

Thanks!

Randy

2. mjp

mjp

That's a great question. I hope someone who has implemented S3 with their site chimes in with some details.

I haven't used Amazon, but I do use a CDN on a few sites. Same end result, but the CDN files are publicly available via URL. That's not the best option for everyone, and probably not with large video files.

3. Thanks MJP.

I did also learn that the credentials can be stored in an environment variable and read from there. Is that allowed in a shared environment?