Application Timeout

Discussion in 'Windows / IIS' started by classpro, Jun 5, 2013.

1. I'm guessing that the default Application timeout is 20 minutes. But is there a way for us to extend that for our sites?

2. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

mjp likes this.
  3. We are having the 20 minute timeout when the user is idle (a session timeout). Is there a way that the Scheduled Task Manager would address this? If not, is there any way to extend the time for a session timeout?

4. RayH

Yes. All you need to do is to use the Scheduled Task Manager to call a page every 15 minutes to prevent your application pool from timing out. The page could be as simple as a "Hello, World" html file.

mjp likes this.
  5. This appears to have solved the problem - thanks!

RayH likes this.
  6. RayH

No problem. :)

7. Is it necessary to request a full page in order to "reset the clock" for the app pool recycle, or will an AJAX request invoked via a timer on the page work as well for this?

8. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

You can give it a shot and see if it works but the timeout will happen if no HTTP request are made within 20 minutes.

If it doesn't work you can always use the Scheduled Task Manager as stated above.

9. Well, all requests from a browser to a web server are through HTTP, even AJAX ones, so I guess I have to assume, given your answer, that putting a timer on an AJAX request should work. I'll try it and see what happens, and let you know.