ASP.NET site... cannot authenticate when deployed

Discussion in 'ASP.NET / ASP.NET Core' started by terzinator, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Created an asp.net site with Forms authentication. (aspnet user tables, etc...)

When the site is running on localhost (and accessing the LIVE SQL 2012 server), the logins I created work fine. Users, passwords, roles... all work as they should.

But once deployed to the discountasp webserver, I can't log in. None of the username/password combinations are working.

I thought it might be something about the passwords not being complex enough, but I created a new user and made sure it was a complex password... and still no go.

Any basic things I'm not thinking of?

2. Well, that was fast. I created a test user in the code on the global.asax.cs page upon ApplicationStart, and then ran that on the live site.

Then I looked at the Database to see that the user had in fact been created. It had, but the ApplicationID was different for the "test" user.

So, I just changed the application ID for the other users (in the Membership, Users and Roles tables), and it worked.

So, now I need to modify a few things to be able to run it locally, but it's fixed on the live site.

Carry on.

mjp and martino like this.
  3. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

Thank you for posting what worked for you and how you resolved your issue. I'm sure it will help someone else who has this problem too.