Backup API can only be called every 21600 seconds - runaround from support

Discussion in 'Control Panel API' started by DonRox, Jul 28, 2013.

1. http://community.discountasp.net/threads/backup-can-only-be-called-every-21600-seconds.7727/

I am seeing the same problem as reported in this closed thread. Because this closed thread said that the original problem reporter should contact support, I did. Support told me they don't support the API and refered me to a similar thread.

I only call the API to make a database backup. I usually call it manually once every day or two. Sometimes I get this message.

Who supports the API? The forums or the support team?

Any way to escalate these non-answers to someone in support management?

2. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

We provide support for our API service through our forums and not through our ticketing system. We stated this in our post DiscountASP.NET Control Panel API: General Information read the section "User Support".

The backup API can be called every 6 hours.

When you stated this: "I usually call it manually once every day or two"

When you call it a second time is it with the 6 hour limit?

As stated in our forum post here: http://community.discountasp.net/th...andbox-triggers-21600-sql-backup-timer.20565/

"The SQL backup "timer" is there to prevent runaway programs from repeatedly initiating backups."

Did you use the API key to do anything else other then backing up the database?

3. sigh.
    Please read the link I sent where it says to open a ticket. If this is no longer accurate please reply to that thread with current information.
    Is it within 6 hours? umm no, that's why I'm trying to get someone to look into it.
    Do I do anything else with the API? No.

I have a ticket and it was opened minutes after my most recent failure. But unless you are saving system event logs for over a week they are probably gone.

It's really too bad I have to understand your org chart to get the right person engaged on a problem in a timely enough fashion to get it investigated and (hopefully) corrected.

My expectation:
    Visit my site web page once per day to initiate a backup and compress it, then delete the .bak file. Similar to web interface control panel but I don't have to login.

My reality:
    At least twice the API has given me the "must wait 21600 seconds" (aka 6 hours) when I have already waited longer than that.

I realize this is shared hosting. I am disappointed though that problem reports seem to be treated as annoying clients calling rather than opportunities to make a pretty good business a world-class business.

4. anyone?

5. FrankC

FrankC DiscountASP.NET Staff

what is your domain name? i can take a peek at the log