Changing application pool -> process model -> identity to LocalSystem

Discussion in 'ASP.NET WebServices' started by fzhfzh, Oct 27, 2011.

1. I am currently trying to host an asp.net webservice using NET 4.0 system.speech for voice recognition. It works locally, but problem is that when I uploaded it onto the server, I will get a 0x80070005 error when trying to call any of the speechrecognition class methods. Basically I narrowed it down to crashing during the recognitionengine library call.

After some research with Google, and trying all solutions I could find, what I found out that it's some permission problem with .NET speech library, and you need to set the identity to localsystem in order for it to work.

Is there any way for me to do this? My guess is no since it requires the editting of machine.config. Nevertheless, would it be possible, or at least are there some possible work arounds?

Thanks.

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Unfortunately, we cannot change the applicationPool Identity to LocalSystem because of security issue.

By changing the security context to system, your web application will pretty much have administrative right on the server which obviously is not acceptable.