Classic ASP Remote Scripting cross-browser problem

Discussion in 'Classic ASP' started by PGScannell, Dec 2, 2013.

1. I have a legacy website that I maintain that is written in Classic ASP. Updating it to .net is not an option.

There is a problem when performing remote scripting processes when using other web browsers like Firefox and Chrome, as well as a recent issue with IE 11.

Is there a possibility that there is a Classic ASP type of code that is cross-browser capable? This site uses the Microsoft code set that utilizes a combination of Javascript and VB Script to perform the database activity. There is a combination of "rsproxy.class", "server.asp", "msrsclient.js", "rs.htm", and "rs.asp".

I know that this is old technology but there has to be a way for this to work. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Paul

2. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

Is this happening because you upgraded your hosting account from Windows 2003/IIS6 to Windows 2008/IIS7 or higher?

3. I have always had a cross-browser issue with remote scripting. Plus, I don't think that my site has been migrated to the new Windows 2008 platform yet. Is that supposed to relieve the issue? If so, then maybe I should contact someone to initiate that migration. I ahve been a little hesitant to do the migration because I didn't know if I was going to run into any problems.

4. Does anyone know what I can do to alleviate the problem with remote scripting with the different browsers people use? Chrome and Firefox seem to be the most popular browsers along with IE.

I do have to resolve the problems I am having with IE 11, though. I can always tell my users to not use Chrome and Firefox when performing data entry via the user portal, but something is strange when IE 11 is used. I have not had an issue with any version of IE before this.

5. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

For Internet Explorer, you can try enabling Compatibility Mode. I'm not sure regarding the issue with Chrome/Firefox. What's the error message being thrown?

6. That only seems to work for IE 9 and IE 10. That's not available with IE 11 as far as I can tell.

7. I didn't pick up on your last question right awsay. There isn't an error message. On one of my pages I have a dropdown list of items. Clicking on one invokes a javascript function that calls a Remote Scripting function that does a query to my db returning the data elements that I then load into the form.

It isn't doing anything when the browser is IE11. It works flawlessly with every other version of IE. It never worked with Firefox or Chrome and I think that it is because I'm using the old Microsoft remote scripting code. I think there is a cross-browser problem that I can't answers on because 1) Remote Scripting code is 13 years old, 2) Answers seem to revolve around rewriting the site in .net and use Ajax, or 3) Nobdy knows what I'm talking about...

If there are solutions where I can modify the .js files (listed in my initial post) to recognize the browser and offer up alternate code, I'm ready for it. I just don't know where to start...