createuserwizard fails on sendmail

Discussion in 'ASP.NET / ASP.NET Core' started by jimspicer, May 1, 2013.

1. Hi,
    I am here in the forum because support won't help me. This is annoying but I will be grateful for any help. My asp.net application has been running ok for a while. Now I am making changes and the Create User Account control (createuserwizard) is sending mail ok in my dev environment, but fails on the web site (discountasp).

the sendmail occurs when the User fills out the form and clicks on the Create User button. Below are the form attributes:

<MailDefinition BodyFileName="~/newaccountmsg_PB.txt"
    From="[email protected]" Subject="New Account: PerpetualBudget">
    </MailDefinition>

My web.config params are here:

<system.net>
    <mailSettings>
    <smtp from="[email protected]" deliveryMethod="Network">
    <network defaultCredentials="false" host="smtp.perpetualbudget.com" password="abc123" userName="[email protected]" port="587" />
    </smtp>
    </mailSettings>
    </system.net>

As I said this used to work but now it fails with this error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Unable to read data from the transport connection: net_io_connectionclosed.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: net_io_connectionclosed.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: net_io_connectionclosed.]
    System.Net.Mail.SmtpReplyReaderFactory.ProcessRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 read, Boolean readLine) +1207347
    System.Net.Mail.SmtpReplyReaderFactory.ReadLines(SmtpReplyReader caller, Boolean oneLine) +272
    System.Net.Mail.SmtpReplyReaderFactory.ReadLine(SmtpReplyReader caller) +16
    System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.GetConnection(ServicePoint servicePoint) +665
    System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.GetConnection(ServicePoint servicePoint) +222
    System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.GetConnection() +50
    System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message) +1496

[SmtpException: Failure sending mail.]
    System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message) +1829
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.LoginUtil.SendPasswordMail(String email, String userName, String password, MailDefinition mailDefinition, String defaultSubject, String defaultBody, OnSendingMailDelegate onSendingMailDelegate, OnSendMailErrorDelegate onSendMailErrorDelegate, Control owner) +374
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.AttemptCreateUser() +536
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.OnNextButtonClick(WizardNavigationEventArgs e) +111
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Wizard.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +413
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +121
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.WizardChildTable.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +19
    System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +37
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +125
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +167
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5563

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

DiscountASP support used my web.config settings and sent an email (I guess) and said the problem was in my code not their smtp server. But if they are right I can't find the problem. I will appreciate any help.

thanks in advance,
    Jim spicer