Deployment application different than LocalHost application

Discussion in 'Visual Studio' started by TimLacourse, Apr 27, 2013.

1. I have been developing a Silverlight application in VS2012 for a few months. As I go I have been testing out my code in the debugger and running the application on my localhost. Occasionally I would publish it to my website. I haven't published it in a few weeks, but now when I do it none of my changes seem to appear on the website, but in my debugger they do. I realize I haven't provided much details, but I am relatively new to Silverlight programming and I am not sure what information would be the most helpful. Any assistance or possible direction in what I should be checking would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

Hi Tim,

What happens when you use a different web browser? Do you see your changes on the new browser?

Try clearing your internet cache on your current browser to see if that resolves your issue.

3. I've tried from multiple computers and cleared the cache several times. Nothing changes. Since it used to work, I thought it might have been something in my code, but I tried to publish a version of my project from back when I knew it worked, but it doesn't publish either. Well it publishes, but if I make any changes to that version the changes are not reflected on the website.

4. martino

What happens when you run your project locally using debug mode? Do you see the changes locally running in debug mode in Visual Studio?

It might be possible that you could be uploading the same version your site is running currently. (But I could be 100% wrong)

What about when you connect via FTP? Do you see the files being updated? Like for example the time stamp was updated when you deployed the web application?

Try adding an extra file to your project just to see if it gets published on the site.

5. When I run in debug, I see all my changes. This has always been true. I only have 1 xap file in my project and timestamp does changes to match the file I have locally, but the timestamp is always at least a weeks old. I can only work on this project on the weekends, so its like its only building the version from the last time I loaded the project into VS. After doing some playing it appears that when I build my view model or views the xap timestamp is today, but when I publish my web class and it rebuild the project the xap timestamp is changed to a week prior. And even when I don't publish it and just build the project and copy and paste the xap to the websites folder location I still don't see any changes.

6. Do you have a site we can look at? Also how are you deploying your site to the server? Web Deploy? FTP? And is your site a pre-compiled site or has it ever been a pre-compiled site?

7. martino

Can you please provide us with a screen shot of what your site looks like locally on your computer? (What it should look like)

8. Additionally when you use WebDeploy to publish your site to a web server, it generates an activity log on the client computer. If you can send a copy of that log we can parse through it and see where the problem occurred.

9. I started having the problem again. It started working correctly for about a week, but I don't know why it started working. Its been a few months since I have needed to deploy again, but now its back to the same issue. Here is my latest logs and screenshot of what its looks like vs. what its supposed to look like. Any ideas?

Log:
    1>------ Build started: Project: REOPortfolio.Web, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------
    1> REOPortfolio.Web -> C:\Users\Tim\Desktop\REOPortfolio\REOPortfolio.Web\bin\REOPortfolio.Web.dll
    2>------ Publish started: Project: REOPortfolio.Web, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------
    2>Transformed Web.config using C:\Users\Tim\Desktop\REOPortfolio\REOPortfolio.Web\Web.Release.config into obj\Release\TransformWebConfig\transformed\Web.config.
    2>Auto ConnectionString Transformed obj\Release\TransformWebConfig\transformed\Web.config into obj\Release\CSAutoParameterize\transformed\Web.config.
    2>Copying all files to temporary location below for package/publish:
    2>obj\Release\Package\PackageTmp.
    2>Start Web Deploy Publish the Application/package to https://web705.discountasp.net:8172/MsDeploy.axd?site=reoportfolio.com ...
    2>Adding ACL's for path (reoportfolio.com)
    2>Adding ACL's for path (reoportfolio.com/App_Data)
    2>Updating file (reoportfolio.com\Web.config).
    2>Adding ACL's for path (reoportfolio.com/App_Data)
    2>Publish is successfully deployed.
    2>
    ========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 1 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
    ========== Publish: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========
    Local Version:
    local version.jpg

Site Version
    Site version.jpg

10. Just to follow up. It was a local caching issue. My browser was just holding on to the last time I had visited the website. Once I cleared my browsers cache the updates appeared.

11. martino

ahh that always happens to us. I'm glad you found out what it was and resolved your issue.