Deployment Strategies

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by rlcraven, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Hello,

Deploying updates to my site is often problematic... not the publishing part, that works fine. What I am referring to is bugs that appear after the update is deployed. These are mostly things I missed in testing. But occasionally things that work correctly in the development environment for some reason don't work when deployed.

I am curious what others are doing to minimize post-deployment problems. For example, I have considered a second 'beta' domain where updates would be deployed first to just a few customers, and deployed to the primary domain after verifying that everything is working.

So does anyone have advice about minimizing post-deployment bugs?

Thanks,
    Randy

2. mjp

mjp

It's difficult (impossible, really) to replicate the configuration of a commercial server like ours in a local environment. That's always been a problem, not just here, but at any shared host.

A second "staging" site is the best answer, but of course there's cost involved. You have to weigh the value against how much trouble the post-deployment tweaks cause.

3. Thanks!

We place a high value on happy customers, so that's an easy one.

mjp likes this.
  4. I need to create an stating version of our website. We will change the theme and all layout so we cannot use live website. Can we use an staging version , a testing version an alternative url ?
    Thanks

5. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

Hi Maritrza,

The best way to create a staging version of your website is to open up a new hosting account, but if this is not economically feasible, you can considering migrating over to Everleap (www.everleap.com), our cloud brand, which offers a Multi-Site plan (5). You can use one site for production and another for staging.