DiscountASP, ZoneAlarm, FTP, DreamWeaver

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by lakkundicom, Sep 25, 2004.

1. I am trying to connect to the DiscountASP remote site for development using DreamWeaver while behind the ZoneAlarm firewall.

I have it configured the way the instructions ask us to. I am unable to connect to the server. The error message is "An FTP error occured - cannot make connection to host. The remote host cannot be found."

If I disable the ZoneAlarm firewall I am able to connect. Has anyone sucessfully connected using this combination? If so could you please point me to the instructions? Thank you in advance!!

SSL[?]

2. I used to have Zone Alarm on my system, but gave up with it in the end, because it gave me so many problems. It wouldn't even let me connect to the internet sometimes. I switched to Kerio Personal Firewall (http://www.kerio.com/kerio.html). I've found that much better, and its free!

3. Try enabling Passive FTP in Dreamweaver. And if it's already enabled, try disabling it.

4. Add your site as a "trusted zone" under the "Firewall". Also, Under "Program Control" add Dreamweaver and allow both items in the"Access" and "Server". You might add the site to the privacy tab items as well, but I doubt it will be needed. This works for version 5.5.062.011 released in early 2005 but also worked during the period of your trouble.

5. I was having this same problem with zone alarm not allowing dreamweaver 4to use ftp. This is the solution that works for me:In "remote info (define site)" I ticked both the"Use Passive FTP" and "Use Firewall" boxes. This did the trick. I found I don't have to have Dreamweaver allowed as a server in Zone Alarm either once this is done. I hope this helps and hopefully with other versions of Dreamweaver too. [​IMG]