DotNetNuke

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by golfvilla, Jun 4, 2009.

1. I installed DotNetNuke Community Edition Ver. 04.09.04 on a DiscountASP.Net site running Windows 2003 - IIS 6.0 in a subdirectory called DNN as sugested by DiscountASP.Net. It installed without errors.

When I edit a page that I have added and click on the Rich Text Editor radio button to edit the content, it displays rows of icons instead of a text box. I read that DNN uses FCK Editor for its Rich Text Editor. I had this same problem when I tried to install the FCK Editor app on one of my other sites on DiscountASP.net. I have posed this on DNN with no help yet. One person thought it might be the browser. I was using IE7 so I tried accessing the page on Firefox and the editing icons didn't even show. The DNN forum site is using the same application and both IE7 and Firefox display the FCK Editor icons beautifully.

I really need some help! I have been pouring over the DNN documentation and forums with NO ANSWERS whatsoever! I am really behind schedule trying to get a CMS working on several of my web sites.

Thanks ahead of time!

Steve

2. Odd, it sounds like the textbox class is not being recognized. Do you have a screenshot or a link so we can see it?

3. Sure, here is what happens when I click on the "edit text" link:

[​IMG]

The icons go vertical instead of horizontal and then spread across the screen. Very weird. This is the view from IE7.

4. ...Some of those editors will not work in IE7 even in Emulate mode.
    What do you get if you run the same thing with another browser? i.e. Firefox, Google Chrome.
    All the best,
    Mark

5. It doesn't work in Firefox either. Here is the same page in Firefox:

[​IMG]

The icons don't show at all. Here is how it is suppose to look. This is a screen shot from IE7 on the DotNetNuke.com forum site:

[​IMG]

6. Could possible be the proxy settings? I left them blank since there were no instructions from DiscountASP.Net for setting the proxy settings.

7. Thanks, I know where the proxy settings are I'm am just not sure what they should be set at:

[​IMG]

8. Hello,

We do not have a proxy server on our end, so I was assuming you maybe able to point it to 127.0.0.1 but I really don't think its a proxy server issue. I'm still thinking its a browser compatibility issue.
    Try using another browser othe then IE 8 or Firefox. Try using Safari or IE 7.

9. Thanks for clearing up the proxy issue. I have tried IE7 and IE8 with the same result. I have tried Firefox which doesn't show the icons at all. All three of the browsers show the icon bar on the DNN forum page which, I am sure, was designed with DNN using FCK Editor. I guess I am the only one who has installed DNN on DiscountASP.Net that has had this problem? (just my luck). I installed it in a subdirectory (/dnn) as suggested on the DiscountASP forum for installing DNN.

10. Do you think you can give me a link and a test account to use? If you don't want to post it on the forum email it to me on my forum account.

11. I would like to do that but one of the pros at DNN Forum gave me the following advise:
    Also make sure, not to use compression AND whitespace filter in Host settings.
    Besides, save view_state on page and cache on Disk.

Now I am dead in the water. When you go to http://www.OneStopPetAdopt.com/dnn you get the following:

Server Error in '/DNN' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
    DotNetNuke.HttpModules.Compression.Settings.GetSettings() +443
    DotNetNuke.HttpModules.Compression.CompressionModule.CompressContent(Object sender, EventArgs e) +375
    System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +68
    System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3082; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082

12. Did you upload the DNN database to our SQL server? If you haven't already done so, you will need to order the SQL addon for your account.

13. Thank you ray, yes i am running SQLServer 2008.

I deleted all the files and cleaned out the database. I uploaded the fresh files that were unzipped from the download file. I configured my web.config per the sql server settings for DiscountASP.NET just like before. This time I loaded the files in the root instead of a sub directory. When I tried install/configure DNN on DiscountASP.net, I get the following error message:

Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.

14. This error is misleading. We are not on a web farm we run each web servers as there own entities. The error message inidcates that your application process pool maybe getting recycled. I suggest you also look at this thread from within our forum which focuses on this error.

http://forum.discountasp.net/showthread.php?t=2719

15. This error can mean a lot of things. But the jist of it is that it has a variable it is using, and that variable has not been instantiated.
    Usually when when you first load the DNN application it connects to the database and pulls the what ever objects or data it needs to startup. Are you sure that DNN installed itself on your databsae correctly. Did you also go through the process of setting up the default admin roles and users? I belive thats one of the setup process with DNN when you are first installing it.

16. DNN problem

yes, I did that.

17. What did you do to correct your viewstate mac problem? This is hard to diagnose since you may have inputted custom changes to your web.config file to resolve the ViewState issue.