Dreamweaver 8 DSN or DSNLESS? for DASP

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by highwingcom, Oct 3, 2006.

1. I lookingfor some ideas on how to integrate dreamweaver 8's wizard with thedasp server for my new website www.highwing.com. when I used dreamweaver to build it on my own computer using IIS it worked fine, but when I tried to upload to to discountasp.net server none of my recordsets worked. Now I figured out how to connect dsnless but I can only list one field of a table and not much else. Have any ideas?

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

what database are you trying to connect to? SQL / Access?

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. i'm sorry, i forgot to mention - Access

4. Bruce

what error do you get when you try to view the ASP page on our server?

I am not even sure if the wizard will work with MS access hosted on a remote location.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. yeah bruce I think your right,I'm beginning to think that the Macromedia 8 wizard doesn't from a remote location.

The error I originally got when trying to use a dreamweavercustom connectionwith acustom connection string ""Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("/highwingcom/_database/highwing.mdb") was,
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x1e84 Thread 0x1a6c DBC 0x1905f4c Jet'.
    /index.asp, line 31

Then, through theadivce of DASP technical support and a sample script,I changed to a DSN-less connection hard coded into each page, and once I did this I had to get rid of all the old recordsets I had on the page, thus disabling the use of most of Macromedia 8's scripts such as the login feature. I can execute simple connections to the database and display the majority of my records, but am having trouble joining tables by their primary keys and more complex dreamweaver generated scripts.

For example, I had originally used the code below for the photo gallery page of my site, however with a hard coded dsn-less connection I have only been able to generate all of the records,in other words I wasn't able to distinguish between the different groups based on querystrings from the prior page. Any ideas on where to place this code or how to changte it in order to get it to work?

If IsEmpty(Request.QueryString("city_ID")) Then
    If IsEmpty(Request.QueryString("state_ID")) Then
    rs_photo.Source = "SELECT * FROM tbl_Photo INNER JOIN tbl_City ON tbl_City.City_ID=tbl_Photo.City ORDER BY tbl_Photo.photo_Name"
    Else
    rs_photo.Source = "SELECT * FROM tbl_Photo INNER JOIN tbl_City ON tbl_City.city_ID=tbl_Photo.City WHERE tbl_City.State=" & Request.QueryString("state_ID") & " ORDER BY tbl_Photo.photo_Name"
    End If
    Else
    rs_photo.Source = "SELECT * FROM tbl_Photo INNER JOIN tbl_City ON tbl_City.city_ID=tbl_Photo.City WHERE tbl_Photo.City=" & Request.QueryString("city_ID") & " ORDER BY tbl_Photo.photo_Name"
    End If

Anyway, I'm not expecting a solid answer, maybe just a push in the right direction. I have considered using Macromedia MX but I don't want to go through all that trouble if the connection won't work for that either. I'm just hoping I can avoid having to go back and hard code the whole website because with all the Adminstrative tasks and various other macromedia scripts I had built into it, hard coding the site would be a disaster.

6. Bruce

i recommend you either code the application manually rather than using the wizard. Most of these wizards (FrontPage, VS.NET and DW) are pretty crappy and is not too extensible.

What error are you getting when you run the page?

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

7. Just to update everyone,I got all my dreamweaver 8wizard scripts to work, THUS THERE IS NO NEED TO HARD CODE YOUR ENTIRE SITE. Allyou have to do is create a custom connection, with the following connection string.

("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("\_database\highwing.mdb"))

Hopefully this will save everyone alot of time.

[​IMG]