eMail not delivered to @comcast.net due to Comcast configuration errors

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by bgoodbody, Sep 18, 2014.

1. bgoodbody

bgoodbody Bill G

DASP has been making changes to eMail headers which has now caused eMail sent from web servers to be rejected by Comcast.

HELP how do we get this fixed!

===========================================================
    Failed Recipient: removed for [email protected]
    Reason: Remote host said: 554 resimta-po-09v.sys.comcast.net comcast 2002:404f:aa98::404f:aa98 Comcast requires that all mail servers must have a PTR record with a valid Reverse DNS entry. Currently your mail server does not fill that requirement. For more information, refer to: http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#554

2. mjp

mjp

As I understand the issue after reading the ticket, the problem began after you changed the way your script was sending mail. Any changes we made were made in an effort to assist you.

As Javier pointed out in one of his responses to you (and as your failure message shows), Comcast is rejecting one of our internal server hostnames because it doesn't have a PTR record. As he also mentioned in another response, running that check on anything other than the last hostname in the message header is not standard configuration, nor is it RFC compliant.

There isn't much we can do to solve a problem created by nonstandard rules that a receiving server might employ.

martino likes this.
  3. bgoodbody

bgoodbody Bill G

I would be happy to discuss what happened, the resolution we made after hearing from Javier and where we stand now.

We made no changes BEFORE we has this problem and are unclear of why the messages were rejected.... Even if the eventual resolution was that Comcast has fixed what you describe as their problem.

4. mjp

mjp

Well, if Comcast fixed something and now your email goes through, that's good.

I'll fix the title of this thread.

RayH likes this.