form to Database - what to put in the action tag?

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by ryanperry, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Hello,

I've started to use Dreamweaver and am trying to create a basic form that uploads the fields to a database. Can't get it going b/c I think I have to call another file rather than use the connection I've got in Dreamweaver. For example, do I have to put something like '<form action=/upload.asp>' or can I bypass having a separate asp file?

It seems like I may be able to link my form to the database in Dreamweaver and not need separate files. I've got Dreamweaver accessing the database and getting all the fields to display, and I don't use an asp file, but when I hit submit on the form from the web it 'looks' like the form is sending the data somewhere but nothing actually goes into the database.

If I must use an .asp file in-between my Dreamweaver form and the database, can someone share a generic 'add to database' asp file that I can customize?

Thanks!

2. Hi,
    In Dreamweaver this is really easy once you get used to it.
    What you want to do is create the DB conn file then once the DB shows in Dreamweaver...
    Create a RecordSet, then a Form that uses that RS.
    Dreamweaver will write most of the code for you, including RS updates.
    Check the Adobe site, I think they have tutorials on-line for ASP recordsets in Dreamweaver.
    Salute,
    Mark