Getting out of FrontPage?

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by Old but newbie, Feb 22, 2011.

1. I have been working in FrontPage for 15 years or more and a year or two in Dreamweaver. On my website I host a database with pictures. I have known I need to get out of FrontPage but I do not possess any programming skills except basic ones in HTML. I cannot seem to find a way to post pictures or a database in Dreamweaver, so I either need to figure that out or jump to another platform. I do this as a hobby and really have no desire to learn a lot of programming, gotten old and lazy. Other then chastising me for being lazy does anyone have ideas of the easiest way to prevent webbots from posting in FrontPage or suggest a route I need to take to update my skills? Thanks

2. dmitri

dmitri DiscountASP.NET Staff

FrontPage extensions are available on our Windows 2003 / IIS 6 hosting platform. If you opened a new hosting account on IIS 7 platform, we can migrate it for free to IIS 6, so you can get your FrontPage extensions working. Please submit a support ticket through our support portal and request migration.

3. FrontPage Extensions

My website is hosted by Discountasp.net and I have FrontPage Extensions enabled and working.
    When I try to add something running in ASP.NET, it does not work. I can get .ASP pages to run but I cannot seem to build anything within the root directory with the extensions installed under ASP.NET.

I have a subweb created, will asp.net run on the subweb?

4. mjp

mjp

I've forgotten most of the FrontPage lingo, but if the "subweb" created a subdirectory, you may need to go to Control Panel and set the subdirectory as an application starting point.

Tools & Utilities > Web Application Tool

The FrontPage extensions can screw up permissions in general, so if setting the application starting point doesn't help, you'd better open a ticket with support and let them have a look.

As far as updating your skills, if you can dump the FP site into Dreamweaver and rid yourself of FP extensions you'll be doing yourself a favor. Microsoft would like me to tell you to check out Expression Web or whatever site building tool they are pushing this week, but honestly, if you can work it out in Dreamweaver you may be better off.