How to install ASP.NET 2.0 Club / Personal Starter kit?

Discussion in 'ASP.NET Starter Kits' started by Bruce, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Hi. i have gotten further with this method than any other i tried on my previous host. however, i'm a little stuck.

when runing the command prompt string, i get an error 40 - even though tcp/ip is the only thing enabled - and running the gui aspnet_regsql.exe, i get this...

Setup failed.
    Exception:
    An error occurred during the execution of the SQL file 'InstallCommon.sql'. The SQL error number is 916 and the SqlException message is: The server principal "karfeef" is not able to access the database "SQL2005_327215_smiths" under the current security context.
    ----------------------------------------
    Details of failure
    ----------------------------------------
    SQL Server:
    Database: [SQL2005_327215_smiths]
    SQL file loaded:
    InstallCommon.sql
    Commands failed:
    USE [SQL2005_327215_smiths]

SQL Exception:
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: The server principal "karfeef" is not able to access the database "SQL2005_327215_smiths" under the current security context.
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
    at System.Web.Management.SqlServices.ExecuteFile(String file, String server, String database, String dbFileName, SqlConnection connection, Boolean sessionState, Boolean isInstall, SessionStateType sessionStatetype)

can anyone help with this?

many thanks

Karf

2. no matter - after much fettling and a sever headache. i got it sorted. was to do with using the 2nd user to log into the database rather than the primary.

3. Hello, I am settin up the Personal Web Site Starter Kit.

What would typically cause the following error:

The type specified in the TypeName property of ObjectDataSource 'ObjectDataSource1' could not be found.

4. I've noticed many people in the asp.net forums having that same problem.

The most common cause seemed to be not copying the App_Code folder onto the server.

5. How can I verify that the files are copied to the server?

6. Use the local to remote synchronization feature in your FTP client, if it's Visual Studio use the Copy Website option, connect to your site then use the options to verify, sync or copy.

If you use Dreamweaver just right click on the local folder and select the Sync option.

7. Ok thanks for your help. For some reason the subfolders were not updating.

8. Hi! I new to DiscountASP.net and have 9 months of ASP.Net 2.0 experience and newbie SQL knowledge.

I am using the ClubSK for a local robotics team It has all the bells and whistles we need. What I want to do, is have their web application as a subdomain. I saw the postings on enabling a subdirectory as a web tool and the script to handle subdomains, which I put in the Default.aspx in my root directory.

I can run my site, CodeOfGrayc (http://www.codeofgrayc.com/default.aspx).But I can not get to my subdomain(http://piperrobotics.codeofgrayc.com)! Instead what is in my root directory is displayed.

Is there anything special to run the Club Starter Kit as a subdomain that I may have missed in setting up my site?

Any help would be appreciated!
    CodeOfGrayc

9. Hello, I'm brand newto to the VWD ASP.NET 2.0 and I have already created the website and have already made the modifcations to it that I want and have copied it all up and have tried to follow the "How to install ASP.NET 2.0 Club Site Starter kit but now I'm stuck at number 4 Create the starter kit database schema </o:p>
    , I don't know how to do this step. </o:p>
    I have tried the site in the browser and just shows the error page with out any error message in it.</o:p>
    </o:p>
    http://cbcwhitebea.web134.discountasp.net</o:p>
    What am I doing wrong or what did I not do, please help,</o:p>
    Thank you!</o:p>

10. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Did you solve the problem? I tested your site and it is not throwing any error.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

11. Don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but I have just uploaded the clubsite - but it is looking for the database ASPNETDB.MDF - does this mean I have to purchase two databses to run the package?

Post Edited (Bob Main) : 1/25/2008 1:01:48 PM GMT

12. You can't use Express DBs here but you can import the data to a SQL Server 2005 account if you have one.

13. Regarding Step # 7,

How can the ASP.Net website administration tool be opened to manage users online (after hosting on discountasp.net)

regards
    Mozay

14. The proper connection string is listed in your control panel for whichever database server you added.
    Is that the part you're having trouble with?

15. a) navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
    b) execute this aspnet_regsql.exe -S [DB Server Name] -U [DB login] -P [Password] -A all -d [Database name]

The above is step 4

Can I confirm :

DB Server Name = n1.discountasp.net
    DB Login = my given user name to log in to www.discountasp.net
    Database name = my registered domain in whois such as www.acbdefgh.com

URGENT please help

I am getting an error massage

An error has occurred. Details of the exception:</o:p>
    An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When conne</o:p>
    cting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the</o:p>
    default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named</o:p>
    Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

16. Bruse,

I followed your instructions to at 'T', but yet I'm still getting errors when I try to connect the remote server. Here is exactly what I did...

1) Download and install the starter kit if you do not already have it installed on your computer. Grap it at http://www.asp.net

2) Create a new website / project using VS.NET 2K5 or VWD 2005. Use the Club starter kit template.

3) Create the Application Services Database on the our SQL

a) navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
    b) execute this aspnet_regsql.exe -S [DB Server Name] -U [DB login] -P [Password] -A all -d [Database name] - when this ran it completed, but I didn't see anything happen

4) Create the starter kit database schema on the remote server by using the following script....osql. osql -S <sql server name> -U <db_user> -P <DB_password> -d <DB_Name> -i club-add.sql

5) Open the Web.config file in VWD 2005.

Change the connection string to point to the remote SQL server, and add the following lines..

<connectionStrings>
    <add name='ClubSiteDB' connectionString='Data Source=tcp:sql2k506.discountasp.net;Integrated Security=false;Initial Catalog=SQL2005_508898_aspnetdb;User ID=SQL2005_508898_aspnetdb_user;Password=*******' providerName='System.Data.SqlClient'/>

<remove name='LocalSqlServer'/>

<add name='LocalSqlServer' connectionString='Data Source=tcp:sql2k506.discountasp.net;Integrated Security=false;Initial Catalog=SQL2005_508898_aspnetdb;User ID=SQL2005_508898_aspnetdb_user;Password=*******' providerName='System.Data.SqlClient' />
    </connectionStrings>

6) Now build the kit by hitting Ctrl-F5. When I did this, I got the following error message?

Server Error in '/Greater_Mt_Olive' Application.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid object name 'SiteSettings'.

Source Error:

Line 2186: this.Adapter.SelectCommand = this.CommandCollection[0];
    Line 2187: DataSet.SiteSettingsDataTable dataTable = new DataSet.SiteSettingsDataTable();
    Line 2188: this.Adapter.Fill(dataTable);
    Line 2189: return dataTable;
    Line 2190: }

Source File: c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\greater_mt_olive\a8242ded\3582d7f7\App_Code.k6kyqc2w.9.cs Line: 2188

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Invalid object name 'SiteSettings'.]
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +98
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +82
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +346
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +3430
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData() +52
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData() +130
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) +371
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async) +1272
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result) +334
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method) +45
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method) +162
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +35
    System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +32
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +183
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable[] dataTables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +338
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable dataTable) +198
    DataSetTableAdapters.SiteSettingsTableAdapter.GetSiteSettings() in c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\greater_mt_olive\a8242ded\3582d7f7\App_Code.k6kyqc2w.9.cs:2188
    DevCowSiteSettings.GetSiteSettings() in c:\Documents and Settings\ramell-lamar\Desktop\Desktop Stuff\Personal Material\Web Site Portfolio\Greater_Mt_Olive\App_Code\SiteSettings.cs:49
    DevCow.Web.UI.DevCowThemePage.Page_PreInit(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\Documents and Settings\ramell-lamar\Desktop\Desktop Stuff\Personal Material\Web Site Portfolio\Greater_Mt_Olive\App_Code\DevCowThemePage.cs:20
    System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +31
    System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +68
    System.Web.UI.Page.OnPreInit(EventArgs e) +96
    System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit() +32
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1437

Please Help?..thanks
    /emoticons/mad.gif /emoticons/mad.gif /emoticons/mad.gif /emoticons/mad.gif /emoticons/mad.gif

17. I looked at the video, bit dosen't show me what I'm doing wrong. After following the steps, I still get the same error. Please help

18. I'll help you, no worries.
    Did you add SQL Server 2005 to your account?
    If so and you want me to take a look at the DB let me know, no charge.
    Salute,
    Mark

19. Yes I did actually. I purchased the MS SQL 2005 server service. My server name is SQL2005_508898, and login name is SQL2005_508898_aspnetdb_user. I was able to create the tables from the schema that was provided in the club starter kit. I just can't figure out the connection string needed to create the role that's needed. Below is a copy of the connection string used in the web.config file....the password is encrypted here

<connectionStrings>
    <add name='ClubSiteDB' connectionString='Data Source=tcp:sql2k506.discountasp.net;Integrated Security=false;Initial Catalog=SQL2005_508898_aspnetdb;User ID=SQL2005_508898_aspnetdb_user;Password=********' providerName='System.Data.SqlClient'/>
    <remove name='LocalSqlServer'/>
    <add name='LocalSqlServer' connectionString='Data Source=tcp:sql2k506.discountasp.net;Integrated Security=false;Initial Catalog=SQL2005_508898_aspnetdb;User ID=SQL2005_508898_aspnetdb_user;Password=********' providerName='System.Data.SqlClient' />
    </connectionStrings>

Thanks,
    Ramell

Post Edited (Ramell L) : 6/18/2008 12:11:13 AM GMT

20. I don't have any code loaded to the server...only the tables. Could this be the problem. The site settings is being referenced by App_Code\SiteSettings.cs

21. That is what I was thinking, you seem to have missing code files.
    Upload your local site to remote again, make sure those folders get created and the code files in them.
    Salute,
    Mark

22. OK, please try it exactly like this, just replace your password:

23. Shouldn't It be looking at what's on the SQL Server. I did that and I received this error...

Server Error in '/Greater_Mt_Olive' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Invalid object name 'SiteSettings'.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid object name 'SiteSettings'.

Source Error:

Line 2186: this.Adapter.SelectCommand = this.CommandCollection[0];
    Line 2187: DataSet.SiteSettingsDataTable dataTable = new DataSet.SiteSettingsDataTable();
    Line 2188: this.Adapter.Fill(dataTable);
    Line 2189: return dataTable;
    Line 2190: }

Source File: c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\greater_mt_olive\a8242ded\3582d7f7\App_Code.k6kyqc2w.9.cs Line: 2188

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Invalid object name 'SiteSettings'.]
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +925466
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +800118
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +186
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +1932
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData() +31
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData() +62
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) +297
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async) +1005
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result) +132
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method) +32
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method) +122
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +12
    System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +7
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +141
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable[] dataTables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +162
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable dataTable) +107
    DataSetTableAdapters.SiteSettingsTableAdapter.GetSiteSettings() in c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\greater_mt_olive\a8242ded\3582d7f7\App_Code.k6kyqc2w.9.cs:2188
    DevCowSiteSettings.GetSiteSettings() in c:\Documents and Settings\ramell-lamar\Desktop\Desktop Stuff\Personal Material\Web Site Portfolio\Greater_Mt_Olive\App_Code\SiteSettings.cs:49
    DevCow.Web.UI.DevCowThemePage.Page_PreInit(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\Documents and Settings\ramell-lamar\Desktop\Desktop Stuff\Personal Material\Web Site Portfolio\Greater_Mt_Olive\App_Code\DevCowThemePage.cs:20
    System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +15
    System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +33
    System.Web.UI.Page.OnPreInit(EventArgs e) +2062504
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +663

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433

24. See if you can find where 'SiteSettings' is being referenced.
    The conn string I provided in my last post is correct.

25. What are you using to Sync the folders local to remote?

btw, if you can not get this resolved I am willing to do the installation for you, no charge.
    Salute,
    Mark

26. I used FTP. What do you need from me to do the installation?

27. I put the files on the remote server and now I received the same error message.

28. I sent you an email....thanks