How to install BlogEngine.NET

Discussion in 'ASP.NET Starter Kits' started by Joseph Jun, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Joseph Jun

Joseph Jun DiscountASP.NET Staff

Hello everyone!

One of the newer Starter Kits that has been introduced is BlogEngine.NET. It's a full featured blogging tool and has just about everything you would expect including user administration, different themes, referral tracking and more.

It?s extremely easy to configure and setup and unlike the other Starter Kits doesn't require any manipulation. Probably the coolest feature is that it does not require a database! The default data store for this Starter Kit is XML files. You can use a database if you'd like but I currently see no reason to.

Let's get started!

Requirements:
    FTP Client
    Web Application Tool (Found in the DiscountASP.NET Control Panel)
    User/Quota (Found in the DiscountASP.NET Control Panel)
    Permissions Manager (Found in the DiscountASP.NET Control Panel)

First, you'll need to download the Starter Kit which you can find directly here:
    http://www.asp.net/downloads/starter-kits/blog-engine/

After you've downloaded the zip file, extract the contents to a local directory of your choice and then fire up your preferred FTP client.

Once you've connected to the server, create a sub-directory with a name of your choice and upload all of the contents that were extracted from the zip file.

The next step is pretty easy, you'll need to access the Web Application Tool in the Control Panel and configure the sub-directory you created as an application. While we?re in the Control Panel, click on the User/Quota Manager to make sure that the ASPNET user account has some disk space available and head into the Permissions Manager to make sure that the 'anonymous' user has both read and write permission on the sub-directory that you transferred your files to.

Go ahead and access your blog by access the sub-directory and look for the ?Sign in? link. The default user credentials that are required to login is admin/admin. You?ll want to create an additional user and then delete the original admin account.

Sign out and log in as the new user that you created. You?ll probably want to spend a few minutes configuring your blog and once you're set, you?re good to go!

For more information regarding BlogEngine.NET, please visit the following URL:
    http://www.dotnetblogengine.net/

For full documentation, head here:
    http://www.dotnetblogengine.net/wiki/

Important Note: If you are hosted on Windows 2008 / IIS7, you'll need to switch the site to run in Classic Mode (Hosting control panel -> IIS Manager)

2. I haven't used BlogEngine.Net but it looks really cool.

Right now I am a big fan of SubText (another .NET blog)
    You can see my live site here using SubText - SharpDeveloper.NETwhich offers .NET tutorials and articles, specializing in the C# language.

If someone can tell me why BlogEngine.NET is better over SubText I would be very interested to know how..

Author, SharpDeveloper.NET - C# articles and more

3. Nice, if they only had made it useful....it's based on XML data storage which is NOT practical. Now if I want to use it over a SQL Server DB, I have to rewrite the DAL.

4. yea, definitely SubText is it. However I can't use it on discountasp.net because I cannot create a virtual directory. The default.aspx is not in the root which is typical for real .NET solutions with multiple projects as SubText and 90% of others out there do and in our daily software at work

5. setting up MSSQL for BE.net is a snap.

1. run provided sql scripts against a database

2. change settings in Web.config:

6. Joseph Jun

Joseph Jun DiscountASP.NET Staff

I've installed Subtext as well on the DiscountASP.NET platform and never had to create a virtual directory, all that was necessary for the installation process was the modification of the connection string, updating the e-mail addresses in the web.config and using the Web Application Tool to configure the directory where I copied the files to as a web application.

Were you using some other feature because I'm not sure where or why you'd need a virtual directory?

Winston

http://www.discountasp.net

7. zhanif

zhanif Guest

You should also be aware that this is a .NET 2 application. I have .NET 1.1 applications hosted so I cannot change the ASP.NET version number and use BE. Bummer

8. Have a question about the following in the instructions:

> While we?re in the Control Panel, click on the User/Quota Manager to make sure that the ASPNET user account has some disk space available and head into the Permissions Manager to make sure that the ?anonymous? user has both read and write permission on the sub-directory that you transferred your files to.

I assume BlogEngine.Net is run under my Anonymous ASPNet User account, including when a user adds a comment and ends up updating app_data. When does IUSR account come in?

9. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

ASP.NET will need both IUSR / ASPNET user to have permission to the file resource before you can write to it.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

10. Has anyone been able to install BlogEngine 1.3 in a subdirectory (e.g. /blog) on a DiscountASP.net sever? I've been running BE 1.2 for a while now and cannot get BE 1.3 to work in a subdirectory. I did a simple install and am getting an "Unknown server tag 'blog:postCalendar'." error.See my thread at http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=21461for more info.

Thanks!

11. I'm trying to install BlogEngine 1.4 in a subdirectory of my main site, i'v also made this subfolder a web application using Web Application Tools, but when i access the site, i get this following configuration error:

Server Error in '/Blog' Application.
    Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Theme 'Default' cannot be found in the application or global theme directories.

Source Error:

Line 84: </customErrors>
    Line 85:
    Line 86: <pages theme='Default'>
    Line 87: <controls>
    Line 88: <add tagPrefix='asp' namespace='System.Web.UI' assembly='System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35'/>

Source File: E:\web\pmronlinei1\htdocs\web.config Line: 86

I think the problem is that its giving me error in the web.config of the root application when it should be using the web.config in the blog subfolder which is an application. The root application is running fine.

12. The web.config file has inheritance properties. So what ever element you do not define on your subdirectories applications maybe inherited from the root directory. You should try disabling the theme element on your blogengine application to override the root directories web.config file. Try using this link from msdn on some documentation in disabling themes for your web application. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kx3kzht7.aspx

rcp
    DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

13. I'm trying to get blogengine.net setup on my site. I set it up under a blog subdirectoy. It runs but only shows my blog entry when I am logged in as admin. When I got to Permissions Manager to try and set read/write permissions to the app_date folder no users showup even though under the user manager my admin user account and anonymous account are listed. ANy ideas?

14. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

We need more info to help. I think you should create a support ticket.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

15. Following the instructions in the original post above, I get stuck at this one part:

...click on the User/Quota Manager to make sure that the ASPNET user account has some disk space available and head into the Permissions Manager to make sure that the ?anonymous? user has both read and write permission on the sub-directory that you transferred your files to.

My User/Quota Manager shows two users: one is my DiscountASP user, and the other is "Anonymous ASPNet User". Plenty of space quota left on them. So, I figured I just needed to give the anonymous user some read/write permissions to my blog folder's App_Data subfolder. However, the Permission's Manager UI shows a message "No Users Exist", so I have no way to add the permissions.

I was able to proceed to the next step and access my site's blog\login.aspx and use blog admin tools to make a new user, give it blog admin priveleges, and then delete the original default admin user. However, I am unable to use any of the blog's "edit" links--I presume this is because DiscountASP.NET security has not yet allowed any blog users to write any data. Or something.

So what might be wrong? Why does Permissions Manager display "no users exist?" instead of a list of users?

16. Actually, I got it working, at least further. I never changed any DiscountASP.NET user permissions or anything to do it, either. Just had to add a big <serverconfig> section of xml to my blog\Web.Config file. I got the <serverconfig> section from some smart person's post on codeplex--I'd reference it here but darned if I can find it again.

EDIT: Ah, found the link:
    http://blogengine.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=47549

17. BlogEngine.NET Import Issue

Hi,

I've installed BlogEngine.NET on II7 successfully without having to assign permissions for App_Data folder. However, I'm trying to import posts via the Import module within BlogEngine.NET that calls an application hosted on: http://dotnetblogengine.net/clickonce/blogimporter/blog.importer.application

In Destination Information , I provide URL: http://www.mysite.com, Login: my BE.NET username and in Password my BE.NET password.

Ignoring any Advanced Options.

Once everything is validated and Hitting Import, I get username, password error.

I tried using my DASP.NET username/password, in vain.

How to resolve this issue?

Regards,
    Mo

18. Hi, I'm trying to install BE v1.5 final in a subdirectory of my site and there is an existing web.config file at the site root. I've followed the installation instructions but when accessing www.covendis.com/blog/ I get the following error. my root web.config has a URLrewrite httpmodule, but do I comment out the code for BE's web.config? can anyone help?

Server Error in '/Blog' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: The entry 'UrlRewrite' has already been added.

Source Error:

Line 97: <httpModules>
    Line 98: <add name="WwwSubDomainModule" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.WwwSubDomainModule, BlogEngine.Core" />
    Line 99: <add name="UrlRewrite" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.UrlRewrite, BlogEngine.Core" />
    Line 100: <add name="CompressionModule" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.CompressionModule, BlogEngine.Core" />
    Line 101: <add name="ReferrerModule" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.ReferrerModule, BlogEngine.Core" />

Source File: E:\web\covendiscom\htdocs\blog\web.config Line: 99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3082; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082

19. spot on fix

Thanks wisemx. that was a spot on fix suggestion. Once the BlogEngine web.config (installed in a subdirectory) stopped inheriting from the root web.config, it worked straight away.

Mahalo!

20. ...Nice ;-)

21. mjp

mjp

That web.config inheritance hangs up a lot of people.

22. I have done everything here but no matter what I do, I still get the following error:

Server Error in '/blog' Application.
    Access to the path 'E:\web\<username>\htdocs\blog\App_Data\users.xml' is denied.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'E:\web\<username>\htdocs\blog\App_Data\users.xml' is denied.

ASP.NET is not authorized to access the requested resource. Consider granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity. ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

23. Thanks wisemx, very good advice of fixing

24. Blog on blog.aspx page

Hey guys, is there a way to create a blog without having the entire blog look like a new site? As in creating a page blog.aspx and adding a blog strictly into the content-pane area of my page?

Thanks

25. mjp

mjp

NOTE: We have run in to a few cases of resource abuse problems that are related to a known BlogEngine.NET pingback spam issue. In certain situations the pingback spam can create a loop and the process of continually writing to your BlogEngine.NET files consumes a tremendous amount of server resources.
    We recommend that anyone using BlogEngine.NET take a few minutes to read the above article and follow the steps it outlines. Please also take this opportunity to ensure that you are running the latest version of BlogEngine.NET (http://blogengine.codeplex.com/releases/view/39387).