How to install the ASP.NET 3.5 Job Site Starter Kit

Discussion in 'ASP.NET Starter Kits' started by Joseph Jun, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Joseph Jun

Joseph Jun DiscountASP.NET Staff

Hello everyone.

One of the newer Starter Kits that I've spent some time testing is the ASP.NET 3.5 version of the Jobs Site Starter Kit (JSSK). The Jobs Site Starter Kit allows employers to list available job listings and job seeking candidates to submit their resume and apply for positions.

Let's get started, shall we?

Requirements:

Visual Web Developer 2008
    Jobs Site Starter Kit
    Version 3.5 of the .NET Framework
    SQL Server 2005 database
    FTP client

First, you'll want to make sure that you have Visual Studio 2008 or Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition as previous versions of Visual Studio and Visual Web Developer will not work. Microsoft is currently offering a 90-day trial download of Visual Studio 2008 while you can obtain a Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition as a free download. Follow the installation instructions and it's just a standard installation.

The next step after you've got the editor installed is to pick up the JSSK itself. Download the Starter Kit and follow the general instructions provided in the welcome.htm file.

You'll want to access your DiscountASP.NET Control Panel to verify the following:

1. Make sure that version '2.0 or higher' is selected in your IIS Manager

2. Check the User/Quota Manager and the Permission Manager to verify that the ASPNET user has sufficient disk quota.

3. If you don't have a SQL Server 2005 database addon for your account, you can use the Addon Manager to purchase a database for your account.

Upload your the JsskDb.mdf file using your preferred FTP client and then attach the database through the MS SQL 2005 Database Manager <https://my.discountasp.net/mssql2005-manager.aspx>.

That should take care of everything on the server. We'll want to examine the web.config file so you'll want to launch either Visual Studio 2008 or Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition. In the web.config file, you'll probably want to make some changes to application setting values.

The most important change that you'll be making is to the connection strings. You'll want to replace the existing connection string which is for a SQL Server Express database with the information for your SQL Server 2005 database. For the most part, there aren't any other settings that need to be changed but take a look at the web.config file.

Now, all that's left is publishing! I would recommend publishing to a sub-directory, for example, I used JobSiteStarterKit. You'll need to use the Web Application Tool and configure the directory as a starting point.

And that's it!

For some general information, you can visit the ASP.NET itself at:

http://www.asp.net/downloads/starter-kits/job/

For additional information, please visit the Binary Intellect site at:

http://www.binaryintellect.net/articles/a203c824-aec1-41b7-b3ec-49a15d5c9ebb.aspx

Happy coding!

-W

Winston

DiscountASP.NET

2. Hi, this is Kevin From Manhattan...
    I would like to say that the main aim of this site is about Asp and its programing and its
    Designing and every thing will be included in this site..
    ================================
    Kevin...

Search Jobs