IIS7 to IIS8 Migration - Some General Thoughts

Discussion in 'Windows / IIS' started by Will1968, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Hi,

I just thought I would mention a couple of things that happened to me when migrating my site.

I waited up till way past my bed time to 10-30pm and then pressed the migrate button and went to bed.

Woke up to see if my site was working. Ans no.

Reasons....

1. I had to change was the framework from 4.5 to 2.0, 3.5 etc

2. The default page was set to index.htm. The previous ability to alter the default page in the control panel is not there. You have to do it in the web.config or IIS Manager. Thanks Dimitri for fixing this for me.

It would be good if the settings that were carried across from IIS7.

It would also seem logical that the websites being migrated will not be 4.5. So the framework default should be 2.0,3.5

Other observations...

The control panel seems to loose some of the features that existed in the IIS7 control panel. Such as setting directory browsing and default page. I set the directory browsing to off via IIS manager. I assume the default is off though?

Apart from that it was all fine. So thank you very much for the migration button. It worked pretty well but I think people should be made aware of these issues, simple though they are.

Cheers,

Will

2. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

Hi Will,

You're correct and I'm glad you were able to point out the differences between the control panel for IIS 7 accounts and IIS 8 accounts.

The directory browsing is set to on by default I believe. To set it to off you need to now connect through IIS Manager to disable it if your on a IIS 8 account. For other readers please read our knowledge base article on how to connect to your IIS site using IIS Manager here: http://support.discountasp.net/KB/a...e-server-using-the-microsoft-iis-manager.aspx

If you want to create a default document on IIS and you're on a IIS 8 server. You will also need to connect to your site using IIS Manager and double click on the "Default Document" icon within IIS Manager. Then you can go ahead and create any default document you wish to use for your site.

I believe if you migrate from an IIS 7 server to an IIS 8 server the ASP.NET framework is set to ASP.NET 4.5. However, you always have the ability to change the ASP.NET framework from within the control panel's IIS Tools section.

I'm glad you posted this because it will help someone else out later on.

3. Thanks for the reply.

I can't believe you don't get a few help desk questions post migration?

Would be good to beef up the 'Things to do after migration to IIS8' list that pops up at the point you click migrate plus on the confirmation email.

After having my site on IIS7 for a good few years you forget about a lot of the settings.

Cheers, Will

PS I am finding my site is super stable now. I have had no restarts since migrating. I used to get a few every day. Maybe I have a whole IIS8 server to myself :)!!!

4. Just confirmed this. I did a reverse IP address look up on my sites IP address and there is just my site and 2 other websites on it, WOWWWWWWWWW!

5. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

i think the reverse look up is not really accurate. We have no Win2012 server that have that little users.

We also see that IIS8 has better performance and stability compare to iis7