iPhone 3.0.1 email help

Discussion in 'Email' started by boomop, Sep 10, 2009.

1. I have set up email on my iPhone 3G before without any problem but since updating the OS to version 3.0.1 I can receive but no longer send messages. Does anyone have instructions to set this up, it's driving me insane.

Thanks in advance

James

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

what error ?

3. Hey Bruce. I've attached a screenshot of the error message. I've followed the instructions given by discountasp.net but nothing works.

Cheers

James

Attached Files:

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

this seems like a carrier error suggesting that it cannot connect to the SMTP server.

I would contact the carrier and see if they can provide support.

5. Joseph Jun

Joseph Jun DiscountASP.NET Staff

If you're unable to connect to the SMTP server, the likelihood of O2 filtering outbound connections on port 25 over their 3G network is fairly high.

You can try changing the SMTP server port to 587 by doing the following:
    1. Go to Settings
    2. Mail, Contacts, Calendars
    3. Tap your account
    4. Under Outgoing Mail Server, tap SMTP
    5. Tap the primary server and if the server port is set to 25, change the value to 587

If you still encounter trouble sending messages even over the alternate port number, there really isn't much you can do other than use O2's SMTP server that should be smtp.o2.co.uk.

6. Hey dude

Thanks so much for the help but I already tried that and no joy. It's weird because it used to work just fine. Maybe someone else will come up with a new idea!

Cheers

James