Issue with new SmarterMail interface (IE and FF)

Discussion in 'Email' started by Paul Ireland, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Hi

My colleague who uses webmail is having issues with the use of the new SmarterMail interface. These issues are different depending on which web browser he uses.

When sending/replying to a message in IE9 (on a Vista machine SP2 installed) a pop-up window appears, but does not have the pane for typing in the main body of the message.

Obviously IE9 is not the latest version, but java is up-to-date.

When sending/replying to a message in Firefox 31 a pop-up window appears, but strangely 'rolls up' to only display the 'to' box. When attempting to resize this box it does the same and always rolls up to display only the 'to' box.

I have looked at SmarterMail's website and it appears as though the latest release (Version 12.3.5318 released on 2014-07-24) contains a fix so that webmail pop-up windows now resize correctly when using version 31 of Firefox.

Are you aware of these issues, and if so do you plan to correct these issues.

Many thanks, Paul

2. mjp

mjp

Smarter Tools isn't real big on supporting older O/S and browsers. Many of the changes they make assume every one of their users is running the latest everything. It can be annoying, but that's just the way their development works.

As far as upgrading to a version released a few days ago: maybe. That's a vague answer because we're in the middle of rolling out upgrades on all mail servers, so it depends on which mail server your account uses. Upgrading all of the mail servers is a long process as we run a lot of mail servers, so many of them have already been upgraded, but many more are scheduled for the coming weeks.

Once all the servers are upgraded we are going to do a quarterly review of the latest SmarterMail release to see if an upgrade is warranted. If bugs that affect a significant number of people are being fixed, we'll likely upgrade. If a release is mostly feature based, probably not. We're going to keep more up to date than we have in the past, but as I mentioned, we run a lot of mail servers, so if we upgraded every time SmarterTools released a new version we would be perpetually updating. By the time we finished one pass on the servers we'd be two versions behind. Kind of like painting the Golden Gate Bridge. It takes so long that when they finish they go back to the other side and start again...

So whether the Firefox 31 bug gets fixed for you soon depends on whether your specific server has been upgraded yet. If it has, another upgrade isn't likely to happen for at least a few months. If it hasn't, then you may get the fix soon.

3. Thanks for the fast reply. Unfortunately, our mail servers were amongst the first to be updated, but I fully understand the extent of upgrading and the massive task involved.

Fortunately, the latest version of Chrome does not appear to have any issues for my colleague so he can use webmail on his old machine.

Thanks again

mjp likes this.