Localizing a website, so end user clicks flag

Discussion in 'Visual Studio' started by jpweber, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Hello! Can anybody point me in the right direction here? I can find nothing on google, or asp.net forums, or anywhere. :confused:

I'm not a programmer, but I somehow managed to make my website compatible with 6 languages, using my global_resources .resx files. I've learned this all in the last month by reading and watching. I've translated 47 pages into 6 different languages, so it's been a lot of work.

Now that my languages are set up, I had someone explain to me how to create a drop-down box and translate that particular page.

But what if I want the end-user to see an array of flags on the homepage, so they can view the entire site in that language? Is this a LOT more intricate than what I've already done? Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Jason Weber

2. Answer to the issue

I managed to solve this problem with the help of a nice guy named Nuux, and along with his expertise, some research on the web. The short answer is that I created a vb class called BasePage.vb and set all the inherits in all my pages to BasePage instead of system.ui or whatever was there. Then there's some code behind on the master page, and a form, and everything tied in perfectly. I have flags and by clicking the flag, you create a session, and that language will be with you through the entire session. If anybody would like a more detailed response, since it's too long to post in here, I'm open to all emails (in my profile). Please feel free and I'll share anytime.

Jason Weber

3. mjp

mjp

Nice solution.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.