logging to text file

Discussion in 'ASP.NET / ASP.NET Core' started by pearsoft, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I am attempting to log some output from my application to a text file created in the root folder. However this file is not getting created despite the fact that <trust level="Full"/> is set in the web.config. Do I need to give the root folder or any additional folder permissions to create/write to a text file.
    Thanks,
    Bob

2. bgoodbody

bgoodbody Bill G

Yes, Write permissions, but be careful that will give write permissions to your entire site.

On the Control Panel

3. Ok, thanks Bill. I will create a new folder for the text output file and assign write permissions to just that folder.
    Bob

4. Hi,
    As a follow up, I did go to the Permissions Manager and selected the folder but despite the fact that the instructions indicate the anonymous user should appear automatically there are no users listed. Am i missing a step that is required to get the anonymous user to appear? All i can see are the "Refresh Permissions", No Users Exist and Add More Users. Clicking the Add More Users link does list the site owner and the anonymous user but no way of forcing the anonymous user to appear.
    Thx
    Bob

5. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

Actually, the Anonymous ASPNet User already has full access to your web space, and it can't be changed. You might want to see if you're running into a quota issue though. Check the quota usage in the User/Quota Manager section of the Control Panel:

https://my.discountasp.net/user-manager.aspx

If the quota is at the limit, your application won't be able to write to the disk.

6. Hi,
    Quota is well below...only using 14MB out of 1000MB. Actually, the reason for using the logging is to log the database activity (logging still not working). For some reason, when I run my asp.net application on your server there is no persisting into the db via my simple linq code. However, if i run the exact same application locally on my machine, with the identical connection strings (pointing to the databases hosted on your sql server) persisting works correctly, as does the output log file. So I'm trying to determine why there is a problem persisting to the db when the application is run on your server vs on my localhost. Any thoughts would be greatfully appreciated.
    Thx
    Bob

7. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

Hi Bob,

There is no reason it shouldn't work. You might to double check your web.config file. You should also try publishing a simple test database script that reads and/or writes data to your database. If that works, then you know there's a problem with the code/configuration of your application.

8. ok thx I will take a better look at the web config and smaller sample app.

9. Post the exact error message you are getting along with the code.