Losing Session Randomly

Discussion in 'Classic ASP' started by nicholashead, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. We are using ProductCart and are losing sessions randomly. I have contacted support to determine our memory usage/etc. but so far the responses have not been that helpful, other than telling me that:

- ASP timeout is 20 minutes
    - Idle timeout is 10 minutes
    - High memory usage (>100mb) causes recycle

I know this is true for ASP.Net, but I'm pretty sure ASP doesn't follow these same rules...

Can anyone shed some light on why my application's ASP sessions would be randomly disappearing? Is there a way I can measure my site's memory/session usage? Any help in general would be appreciated.

2. mjp

mjp

Actually that applies to your application pool, regardless of what you are using. So anything that uses memory or loads into memory...

I know for a .NET application you can store the session information, but I'm afraid I'm not sure if that applies to classic ASP. Someone here will know the answer.

3. ...It never was easy to handle sessions on Classic ASP.
    Many of us that did commerce sites with it had to choose fallback methods for this reason.
    You can find examples where cookies were used to handle lost sessions.
    That never was a good choice but it did work, except for the security risks.
    The best method was storing sessions in SQL Server, not easy and definitely slower but it does work.

An easy method I tested here, (keep in mind we're all on shared servers here)...
    Running Classic ASP forums for very active communities I was able to keep the sessions from getting lost by simply adding the root forum folder as an Application in the Control Panel.

You don't think to do that by default with Classic ASP but it sure can help.

If need be I can dig-up some of my old session tricks, they're not in my head anymore. ;-)

Try the folder Application, if that doesn't help re-post.
    All the best,
    Mark

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.