MS SQL Database Prices

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by StevenTong, Feb 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hi
    I am tempted to use DiscountASP.net having had good service in the past, but your prices for hosting with a SQL database appear to be very high compared to other companies.

A good example is SmarterASP.NET who offer 6 websites and 6 MS SQL databases for $5 per month. Could you please tell me why your prices are so much more for Microsoft SQL databases?

Thanks
    Steven.

2. mjp

mjp

Maybe you've experienced good service with us in the past because our prices seem high compared to some other hosts. ;)

Microsoft SQL servers (among other things) come with substantial licensing fees. If a host is offering you 6 SQL databases for a few dollars you have to ask yourself how many databases they are running on a single server in order to cover those license fees (not to mention O/S licensing fees, hardware, data center, network, personnel, etc., etc., etc. costs).

The only way we could sell you six MS SQL databases and still keep the lights on would be to increase the density on every SQL server to such an extreme that performance would suffer for everyone. We choose not to do that.

3. Thanks for the response. Having looked into this more, it seems these cheap offers are mainly aimed at developers starting a site with very low usage requirements. The servers in most cases are running SQL Web edition.
    May I suggest that DiscountASP.NET offers something similar. I am in the position of wanting to develop a site but I am reluctant to pay in excess of $20 per month to do so.

Thanks
    Steven.

4. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

My recommendation is to check out our Cloud Hosting solution over at Everleap.com - with your price point and interest in multiple SQL databases, Everleap.com may be a better fit for you. And Everelap offers many more scaling options that DiscountASP.NET.

RayH and mjp like this.
  5. Yes Everleap look ideal, thanks.