Multiple domains pointing to single domains

Discussion in 'Domain names / DNS' started by Paul Ireland, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Hi, Apologies for the very basic nature of this request but I am new to all of this and having looking at the forums I cannot see a post with my (simple) requirements. I also do not want to make an error due to my limited knowledge.

I have a domain hosted by DASP (hostlongname.com). I have another domain (hostshortname.com), which I want redirected to the domain hostlongname.com.

I have repointed name servers of both domains to DASP and according to whois this has been fully actioned. When I go to www.hostlongname.com it displays content on DASP and webmail.hostlongname.com shows the smartermail interface so despite some mail not getting through this seems to work. However, when I go to www.hostshortname.com it displays old content (from previous server) and webmail.hostshortname.com does show a 'cannot display' webpage (if it was not propagated it would show the old webmail).

I currently do not have a domain pointer on hostlongname.com for hostshortname.com.

Do I need one as my colleagues suggested it was not required?

We need to receive mail to [email protected] and [email protected]. When things are set up and working, I assume all mail will go to [email protected] and this will be the only one I can send from. Is this correct?

Thanks, Paul

2. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

Hi Paul,

Yes, you need to add the extra domain name as a domain pointer. You also need to point the name servers for the extra domain to:

NS1.DISCOUNTASP.NET
    NS2.DISCOUNTASP.NET
    NS3.DISCOUNTASP.NET

Once added as a domain pointer, you need to activate the domain pointer aliasing service which will forward the email from the pointer domain (i.e. hosthortname.com) to the primary domain (i.e. hostlongname.com) on a one-to-one basis. And yes, you are correct that you will only be able to send email from the primary domain (i.e. hostlongname.com).

3. Hi Ray

Thanks for this and it was as I thought but did not want to rely on my limited knowledge in case I adversely affected anything.

I have done as instructed and the pointer has been activated and www.domainshortname.com has come to life!

I suspect I will have to wait for the mail to come through.

Do I need to anything else to get webmail.domainshortname.com to work, or I suppose this is redundant given that mail will go to webmail.domainlongname.com.

Thanks again for your help!!

4. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

Nothing else. Just make sure you point the name servers as instructed and activate the domain pointer email aliasing service through the Control Panel. This Knowledge Base article has some more information.