Need a single MSSQL database

Discussion in 'Databases' started by zezba9000, Dec 18, 2014.

1. mjp

mjp

Well, I can certainly sympathize with price sensitivity, especially when there are lower cost options available.

But we're not really trying to compete with other hosts on price. I'm not saying cheap hosts are all poor quality, just that our approach is to focus on quality and not get into a race to the bottom as far as pricing the service. That doesn't benefit anyone.

I know from a consumer standpoint it can seem like it does, but do the math and think about what it takes to run a good business. When the price gets below a certain point, something has to be sacrificed.

2. Personally for my basic needs I would be happy to sacrifice performance for practical needs. Performance is not an issue for some like myself but rather convenience of features are. I thought this was your market by the sound of your company name. Thanks for the response though.

3. mjp

mjp

Sure, if performance doesn't matter, there's no reason to pay $20 a month for hosting when you can get it for next to nothing elsewhere. So we're probably not the best fit for you. As in all things, of course, you get what you pay for.

---

(Special holiday super-long response you didn't ask for...)

For what it's worth, the company name was coined in 2003, and at that time it was inexpensive. Well, at the time it was practically the only .NET-centric hosting you could buy, but the aim was to be affordable.

A lot has changed since 2003 though. Big investment companies (one in particular) have bought up virtually all of the hosting services, so where you used to have hundreds of independently operated hosts, now you have a small handful. A huge hosting conglomerate can operate dozens of $0.99 hosting companies and lose money on all of them. Then when you get fed up with the lack of performance there, you upgrade to a more expensive plan or move to a better host. Which they probably also own.

If you want to start on a solid, reliable base, you have to charge for a solid, reliable base. We're not immune to that or above that, obviously, since we started Everleap, which is more expensive than DiscountASP.NET. But it's also more modern and reliable technology, so there's always a spectrum of services depending on what you're looking for.

martino likes this.