problem playing Camtasia video on my web page

Discussion in 'Flash/Shockwave' started by Steve Mills, Feb 11, 2011.

1. I have created a video using Camtasia. When I put it on my DASP web site using the html etc they supply, it will only play once.

Details: this problem occurs on the DASP site using Firefox or IE8. If you clear the browser cache, it will play again, once. Using Chrome, or on another web site it works fine.

(DASP) SoftwareEclectics.net (with Firefox or IE)
    click Test on the main page, the video plays,
    then back, then click Test again
    It hangs with a "Waiting for SoftwareEclectics.net..." message
    (Earthlink) SoftwareEclectics.com
    click Test on the main page, the video plays,
    then back, then click Test again
    It plays again, no problem.

I turned browser caching off on the IE tests, stuck a ?Rand=<stuff> on the url, nothing seems to help.

Is there something that DASP is doing or not doing that I need to turn off or on??? Has DASP, and thereby me, got a malfunction?

Suggestions?

2. ...The best way, in my option, is the way I use Camtasia.
    I create the webcasts with it then export a single mp4.
    From there I use Expression Encoder to create the streaming.
    With Encoder I have many more options, including forcing the video to play or not at startup.

Do you want to stream the video?
    Which format do you want to play btw?
    All the best,
    Mark

3. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

Hi Steve,

I've followed your instructions and tested it out on FireFox 3.6.13 and IE 8.0.7600.16383, and I was only able to reproduce the effect you described when I hit the Back button before the video finished completed downloading. It works fine when you allow the video to be played to the end. The video is not being streamed.

4. Allow me to begin by saying I am VERY impressed with the speed and helpfulness of the responses to my post. It says I made the right decision to migrate from Earthlink hosting to DASP.

@wisemx
    I am quite happy with Camtasia, but, of course, free (Expression Encoder) is good. One disadvantage, it seems, is that EE would require my clients to have Silverlight (?etc). I do have 'play at startup' and would like to be streaming.

@Tasslehoff
    *Thank you* for your debugging. I, of course, should have found that.
    I feel that I do need to handle the situation when a client cuts a video off before the end and then wants to come back to it.
    Is it possible to set this up for streaming? If so, how?

- Steve

5. ...Yes the will need to install Silverlight but it's a very light install.
    Keep in mind many people, including some default browsers, are not allowing Flash.
    There have been many hacks lately.
    While Silverlight and Flash both require a client install Silverlight is lighter and the streaming with it is also lighter, better, gooder. ;-)